How can I generate a graphical file hierarchy

Baron Samedi

What I really want to do is to show the complexity of existing
software, with a view to restructuring it.

There are programs out there which will generate a function call tree
(I am extremely happy with DoxyGen), but what I want is to generate
the relationship between files, not functions.

So, if a.cpp calls any function in b.cpp, that is a relationship. I'll
accept this for C, but as a bonus for C++, I'd like to see class usage
too.

Ideally, the result should look like a nice structured tree, but I
suspect that some of mine might look like a spider web.

Don't know if ascii art will work, but I'd like to see something like:

---------------
| main.cpp |
----------------
/ \
/ \
------------ --------------
| gui.cpp | | data.cpp |
------------ --------------
\
\
-------------
| utils.cpp |
-------------

Preferably (GPL) freeware, but I won't discount commercial products.

Thanks in advance.

hbrt

Hi!
I'm waiting for this kind of programm, too. But, I've found something
like this: www.dependencywalker.com/ . You can check library
dependecies. Maybe there are also some features that will allow you to
do what you want.

hbrt

Baron Samedi

Hi!
I'm waiting for this kind of programm, too. But, I've found something
like this:www.dependencywalker.com/. You can check library
dependecies. Maybe there are also some features that will allow you to
do what you want.

hbrt

Thanks. It's not exactly wqhat I am looking for, but the next post
does look very good (makeppgraph). Try it.

Ondra Holub

[...]

There is something in doxygen although it may be a bit overhead for
your task.