    create swing applications or should i get the J2SE 1.4.2_13?

    Thnx in advance! :)

    , Oct 17, 2007

  2. Steve Sobol Guest

    On 2007-10-17, <> wrote:
    > Hello, i'm new to java programming and i'm need some tips. First of
    > all i had downloaded and installed the jdk1.6.0_03 and installed also
    > JCreator Pro, but i need to user the javax.swing library.... where can
    > i download that library? is the jdk1.6.0_03 the correct stuff to
    > create swing applications or should i get the J2SE 1.4.2_13?

    javax.swing.* is part of the JDK.

    --
    Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com

    Wahoo! Indians beat New York to advance to the AL Championship Series!
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-al9oct09,1,5871580.story

    Steve Sobol, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Acidnecro Guest

    On 17 oct, 19:13, Steve Sobol <> wrote:
    > On 2007-10-17, <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, i'm new to java programming and i'm need some tips. First of
    > > all i had downloaded and installed the jdk1.6.0_03 and installed also
    > > JCreator Pro, but i need to user the javax.swing library.... where can
    > > i download that library? is the jdk1.6.0_03 the correct stuff to
    > > create swing applications or should i get the J2SE 1.4.2_13?

    > javax.swing.* is part of the JDK.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
    >
    > Wahoo! Indians beat New York to advance to the AL Championship Series!http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-al9oct09,1,5871580.story

    Much thnx for the answer, actually i was getting some compile error
    because i was doing an "import java.swing", not "import javax.swing".
    I know it a lame error but since I'm a total newb on java, some things
    are not so obvious to me :)

    Acidnecro, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Steve Sobol Guest

    On 2007-10-17, Acidnecro <> wrote:
    > Much thnx for the answer, actually i was getting some compile error
    > because i was doing an "import java.swing", not "import javax.swing".
    > I know it a lame error but since I'm a total newb on java, some things
    > are not so obvious to me :)

    Acid,

    Yeah, we all had to start somewhere; no worries! You should check out
    docjar.com; it's a great resource even for those of us who've done Java
    programming for years.

    Steve Sobol, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > is [sic] the jdk1.6.0_03 the correct stuff to
    > create swing [sic] applications or should i [sic] get the J2SE 1.4.2_13?

    Gosh, don't download 1.4, it's in its End-of-Life phase. Java 6 is the
    current version; don't waste your time with an obsolescent version.

    Have you read the verbiage on the Java web site about what the JDK is versus
    what the JRE is?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 18, 2007
  6. Lew wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> is [sic] the jdk1.6.0_03 the correct stuff to
    >> create swing [sic] applications or should i [sic] get the J2SE 1.4.2_13?

    >Gosh, don't download 1.4, it's in its End-of-Life phase. Java 6 is the
    >current version; don't waste your time with an obsolescent version.

    Further to that, JDK 1.4 can develop apps suitable
    for Java with a minimum version of 1.1 -> 1.4.
    JDK 1.6 can develop apps suitable for Java with a
    minimum version of 1.1 -> 1.6.

    If you want to use generics or beyond, use the latest JDK
    (and if you don't - no drama).

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Mark Space Guest

    Acidnecro wrote:

    > Much thnx for the answer, actually i was getting some compile error
    > because i was doing an "import java.swing", not "import javax.swing".
    > I know it a lame error but since I'm a total newb on java, some things
    > are not so obvious to me :)

    This is surprising. A good idea will tell you that "import java.swing"
    isn't found before you compile. And it will add the correct import for
    you, and remove ones that you aren't using.

    Dump that lame JCreator and get NetBeans.

    Mark Space, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Mark Space wrote:
    >> Much thnx for the answer, actually i was getting some compile error
    >> because i was doing an "import java.swing", not "import javax.swing".
    >> I know it a lame error but since I'm a total newb on java, some things
    >> are not so obvious to me :)

    >This is surprising. A good idea..

    IDE? A good IDE is perhaps a good idea, but
    they are not the same thing!

    >.. will tell you that "import java.swing"
    >isn't found before you compile. And it will add the correct import for
    >you, and remove ones that you aren't using.
    >
    >Dump that lame JCreator and get NetBeans.

    As I see it, only 2 things are really needed to fix
    the problem.
    - Understanding the compiler error, and (possibly)
    - Access to the JavaDocs.

    [ Though I would expect a good IDE to hook the
    JavaDocs 'directly into' the debug messages/code. ]

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Mark Space Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Mark Space wrote:

    >> This is surprising. A good idea..

    > IDE? A good IDE is perhaps a good idea, but
    > they are not the same thing!

    Yeah not sure what happened there. I did mean IDE. Maybe the spelling
    checker got me...

    Mark Space, Oct 18, 2007