How can I increase the timeout on ASP.Net 3.5 pages talking towebservices?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mike, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have an ASP.NET 3.5 site that talks to ASP.NET 3.5 webservices
    the site and the webservices live on different machines

    the web side of things has the timeout set to 20 minutes in the
    web.config
    <forms loginUrl="Login.aspx"
    protection="All"
    timeout="20"
    name="CSCPRS"
    requireSSL="false"
    slidingExpiration="true"
    defaultUrl="ReporterIntro.aspx"
    cookieless="UseCookies"
    enableCrossAppRedirects="false"/>
    </authentication>

    the people I did the application for want the timeout upped to 40
    minutes
    when I changed the value from 20 to 40 the application throws an
    error
    after 20 minutes but it's not exactly a timeout

    "Validation of viewstate MAC failed"

    with the timeout set to 20 minutes or less everything works fine

    is this the case where the web side is not timing out but the web
    service are or something along those lines?

    How can I increase the timeout to 40 minutes

    thanks
    mike
    mike, Oct 1, 2009

  2. Re: How can I increase the timeout on ASP.Net 3.5 pages talking to webservices?

    On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:17:43 -0700 (PDT), mike
    <> wrote:

    >I have an ASP.NET 3.5 site that talks to ASP.NET 3.5 webservices
    > the site and the webservices live on different machines
    >

    > the web side of things has the timeout set to 20 minutes in the
    >web.config
    > <forms loginUrl="Login.aspx"
    > protection="All"
    > timeout="20"
    > name="CSCPRS"
    > requireSSL="false"
    > slidingExpiration="true"
    > defaultUrl="ReporterIntro.aspx"
    > cookieless="UseCookies"
    > enableCrossAppRedirects="false"/>
    > </authentication>
    >

    >the people I did the application for want the timeout upped to 40
    >minutes

    The whole timeout issue could be negated by the use of asynchronous
    requests. Every X units of time a page can refresh itself and check if
    the async request has completed.

    regards
    A.G.
    Registered User, Oct 1, 2009

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    > The whole timeout issue could be negated by the use of asynchronous
    > requests. Every X units of time a page can refresh itself and check if
    > the async request has completed.

    I'm not positive the MAC error is caused by an actual attempted web
    service call
    I actually don't understand the error. Have read a bunch online about
    it and don't fully understand

    I do get the error when trying to access data objects after 20
    minutes even when the timeout is set to 40

    mike
    mike, Oct 1, 2009