How can you tell a site uses Java?

CDZ

I don't know a lot about Java but I thought when a website used it, I'd
get the small applet/cup icon in my taskbar. I've been to a few sites
but it never appears... how can I tell (quickly) that the site is using
Java?

Thanks

Oliver Wong

CDZ said:
I don't know a lot about Java but I thought when a website used it, I'd
get the small applet/cup icon in my taskbar. I've been to a few sites
but it never appears... how can I tell (quickly) that the site is using
Java?

The small applet/cup icon will typically appear if the site is using
applets. If the site is using Java on the backend (e.g. in the form of JSP
or servlets), you may never find out (though there may be hints, such as the
url containing "jsp" somewhere in it).

- Oliver

Thomas Fritsch

CDZ said:
I don't know a lot about Java but I thought when a website used it, I'd
get the small applet/cup icon in my taskbar. I've been to a few sites
but it never appears... how can I tell (quickly) that the site is using
Java?
You have to distinguish between client-side and server-side Java. These two
things are totally independent of each other.

(1) Client-side Java are applets (embedded in a plain web page's HTML code).
The browser downloads the applet's Java code and executes it on your PC. You
probably will recognize this from the small cup icon in your task-bar. You
can also recognize it by seeing "<APPLET>" in the HTML content. Note that a
server is able to provide Java applets without any Java running at
server-side. It is the browser's job to provide the Java-engine for running
the applets.

(2) Server-side Java means that the web-server uses some Java code generate
the web pages requested by your browser. I think there is no bullet-proof
way to decide whether the server uses Java or not. But an URL-address ending
with ".jsp" (meaning Java-Server-Page) is an indication, that this web page
was generated by Java code. [Other people here will probably kow some other
indications] Note that the brower is able to correctly display this content
without any Java-capabilities on client-side.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

CDZ said:
I don't know a lot about Java but I thought when a website used it, I'd
get the small applet/cup icon in my taskbar. I've been to a few sites
but it never appears... how can I tell (quickly) that the site is using
Java?

That is client side java.

For server side java web apps look for URL's ending in:
Servlet
.jsp
.jsf
.do
.action

Arne

CDZ

Thank you, the reason I ask is that we are upgrading the version of
Java on all our Citrix servers and in the past certain sites our users
access have stopped working... I'd just like to head off the problem
this time.

Thank you