how did you learn css?

rf

Mark Parnell wrote
You've shattered my illusions now. I always thought you were born with
the innate ability to code HTML and CSS. None of this "learning" stuff.

<grin>
Where did I say that I actually "learned" anything here? The first person I
met here was, well, brucie.
</grin>

Actually, to be truthfull, the groundwork happened here. Even brucie had
quite a swipe [in private] at my first efforts a few years ago. Nothing
tangible you know, just a small quiet comment along the lines of "do you
*really* think that is a good idea?".

The fullness arrived after reading (and therefore largely memorising) the
spec and then coming back here to translate that knowledge into newbiespeak
:)

Trying to teach it is the best way to learn it. I know this, I ski.

Mark Parnell

Where did I say that I actually "learned" anything here?

OK, so you were saying that is how the _others_ learnt. Gotcha. ;-)
The first person I met here was, well, brucie.

I think he's the first "person" a lot of people meet here. He tends to
scare a few off though.
Actually, to be truthfull, the groundwork happened here. Even brucie had
quite a swipe [in private] at my first efforts a few years ago. Nothing
tangible you know, just a small quiet comment along the lines of "do you
*really* think that is a good idea?".

He must have been feeling particularly nice that day. When did you first
come here? I'd be interested to read the archives. :-D
Trying to teach it is the best way to learn it. I know this, I ski.

<grin>

I've never been skiing. <ducks>

Reid

How did you peoples learn writing sites?

I learned HTML initially from davesite.com's tutorial, which I still
think is well-made, but then it became fraught with advertising. It now
lacks popup ads, at least. I learned a bit more through the HTMLGoodies
web site, but not very much. Davesite.com's tutorial is rather old, but
the language is very transparent.
How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a war,
really. But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4.
I guess its ok. Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of
redundant typing like the doctype and other things most pages have.

I use a text editor called UltraEdit. I once used HTML-Kit, but all of
its unique features were useless to me. I avoid the redundant typing by
copying and pasting my index.html page.

Occasionally, if I'm lazy I'll use vim via SSH.

Once, I liked Araneae, but that was before UltraEdit.

NoteTab Light is pretty nice.

Reid

Reid said:
I learned HTML initially from davesite.com's tutorial, which I still
think is well-made, but then it became fraught with advertising. It now
lacks popup ads, at least. I learned a bit more through the HTMLGoodies
web site, but not very much. Davesite.com's tutorial is rather old, but
the language is very transparent.

I forgot to mention how I learned CSS. I heard a bit about it and wondered
what it was. I learned it by reading the CSS 1 Specification. I
surprisingly found it good for learning the language. It is at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1>.

Neal

I think he's the first "person" a lot of people meet here. He tends to
scare a few off though.

If only he wasn't flaunting his huge binkie so often we'd keep a lot more
visitors... :-\

Uncle Pirate

Reid said:
I learned HTML initially from davesite.com's tutorial, which I still
think is well-made, but then it became fraught with advertising. It now
lacks popup ads, at least. I learned a bit more through the HTMLGoodies
web site, but not very much. Davesite.com's tutorial is rather old, but
the language is very transparent.

I began learning by having to do.
I use a text editor called UltraEdit. I once used HTML-Kit, but all of
its unique features were useless to me. I avoid the redundant typing by
copying and pasting my index.html page.

Ah, another UE user. When I'm using Windows to edit pages, that's what
I use. I started with NS Composer way back but eventually through
reading groups like this just how bad NS (4.x) was. Now it's a text
editor all the way while studying the W3C recommendations, htmlhelp.org,
and w3schools.com; mostly the recommendations though. You just have to
learn how to read them. When I'm editing using Linux, I usually use
KWrite.
Occasionally, if I'm lazy I'll use vim via SSH.
Pico.

Once, I liked Araneae, but that was before UltraEdit.

NoteTab Light is pretty nice.

I've tried numerous so called WYSIWYG editors but all have problems
making them WYSINWYG editors, at least for use by multiple browsers.
I've tried NoteTab also and it is nice. Never heard of Araneae, text
editor? I've also tried some of the site managers and found them all to
be worthless. I'll stick with UE as it does everything I need for HTML,
CSS, and Perl.

As far as where I learned css? Still learning; never stop as I don't
believe anyone knows it all; there's always something more to learn.

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681

Sam Hughes

(I am "Reid." That is fixed now.)

You don't perhaps mean
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/
do you?

I meant the original link. For _learning_ CSS, I think that reading the
first specification is a good idea. The CSS2 spec does have a lame
attempt of an introduction at its beginning, but it is filled with useless
information.

Blinky the Shark

Uncle said:
Ah, another UE user. When I'm using Windows to edit pages, that's what
I use. I started with NS Composer way back but eventually through
reading groups like this just how bad NS (4.x) was. Now it's a text
editor all the way while studying the W3C recommendations, htmlhelp.org,
and w3schools.com; mostly the recommendations though. You just have to
learn how to read them. When I'm editing using Linux, I usually use
KWrite.

Did you look at QuantaPlus (free)? File/project management and some
markup shortcuts are pretty convenient.

Uncle Pirate

Blinky said:
Did you look at QuantaPlus (free)? File/project management and some
markup shortcuts are pretty convenient.

I think I noticed an icon for it when messing with the latest Linux
distro I have, SuSE 9.1. I'll have to check it out.

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://surecann.com/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Aquila Deus

chaser said:
Ok I've been lurking here for a couple days. I love your responses when
someone doesn't get what they wanted or gets an attitude.

I aspire to have a web site like some of those posted in your siggys.
els and Andrew Urquhart especially. Awesome sites! You are both very
talented.

so i have this book, "Visual Quickstart Guide" by Elizabeth Castro.

I've heard good things about it. Maybe even found it recommended here.
I just find it difficult reading and incorporating such abstract topics
as web design. So far what I've found most helpful is reading the source
of your web pages and comparing that to how the site looks. Cool shtuff.

This is good as far as it goes but naturally I don't get to see the
structure of the css that defines the page structures.

How did you peoples learn writing sites?

First go to this: http://www.w3schools.com/
Then read the references.
els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

You can look at my site www.ponkey.com and see I'm in 3rd grade.
This was built by cutting and pasting. Critique it if you like but we'll
be here a while. :

How do you write pages? Notepad?

GNU Emacs, XEmacs, Visual SlickEdit, jEdit.
I don't mean to start a war, really.
But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4. I guess its
ok.

Actually it's not :) dw4 doesn't support java servlet and php.

Will Spencer

How did you peoples learn writing sites?

I'm like the robotic vacumm that learns room dimensions by bumping into
walls. I go until I hit a wall, then I change course until I hit the next
wall.

How do you write pages? Notepad?

`vi`, the one true editor. Ohm. Ohm. Ohm.

Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of redundant typing
like the doctype and other things most pages have.

Maintain a file called template.shtml and then use .shtml includes like
crazy.