How do I access a web service on another machine on different domains

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ian, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Can anyone help

    I have a web server on the internet with and ASP.NET application on it, the
    application is set to allow Anonymous Access and Integrated Windows. The
    Web.config is set to use Forms authentication. On the server side, where
    the web server is I have set IIS to disable Anonymous access and allow
    Integrated Windows. I have sync'd both the APSNET account on the web
    servers and application server so that access will be granted to the web
    service without the need for impersonation. However, it does not work !!!

    I have identified that if I set the credentials for the web service it will
    work, but this involves hard-coding as follows.

    ' Set the client-side credentials using the Credentials property.
    Dim credentials = New NetworkCredential("ASPNET", "password")
    oAuth.Credentials = Credentials

    Can anyone help???

    Ian, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Ian,

    When a web service is protected passing credentials to it is how you are
    supposed to connect to it.

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche

    S. Justin Gengo, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Are you setting the credentials on the Web client?

    If you're running a Fat Client app (Windows Forms App) you can automatically
    retrieve the default credentials of the logged in user like this:

    oService.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

    This will pass the logged in user's credentials to the Web server. From the
    browser this obviously won't work though. There you would have to prompt
    explicitly out of the code for username and password.

    +++ Rick ---

    Rick Strahl
    West Wind Technologies
    http://www.west-wind.com/
    http://www.west-wind.com/wwHelp
    ----------------------------------
    Making waves on the Web

    Rick Strahl [MVP], Aug 13, 2003
  4. Ian

    Ian Guest

    The setup is as follows

    2x IIS5 W2K Advanced Server (NLB)
    Firewall
    1x IIS5 W2K Application Server
    1x SQL Server Database

    The Logon application is housed on the web servers as an ASP.NET
    application, this has a reference to the web service on the Application
    server via port 80 on the firewall. In turn the Application server has a
    Serviced Component used for talking to the database housing the appropriate
    authorisation for database access.

    I have tried using oService.Credentials =
    CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials, in the knowledge that the ASP.NET worker
    process runs as the ASPNET local account, therefore should the default
    credentials not be populated with those of the ASPNET account?

    The alternative to this is to create a new NetworkCredential, hard coding
    the user name, password and domain....this is not really considered as an
    option !

    Are you therefore saying that only a Windows Form App can populate the
    CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials ???

    Regards
    Ian

    "Rick Strahl [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Are you setting the credentials on the Web client?
    >
    > If you're running a Fat Client app (Windows Forms App) you can

    automatically
    > retrieve the default credentials of the logged in user like this:
    >
    > oService.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
    >
    > This will pass the logged in user's credentials to the Web server. From

    the
    > browser this obviously won't work though. There you would have to prompt
    > explicitly out of the code for username and password.
    >
    > +++ Rick ---
    >
    > Rick Strahl
    > West Wind Technologies
    > http://www.west-wind.com/
    > http://www.west-wind.com/wwHelp
    > ----------------------------------
    > Making waves on the Web
    >

    > "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone help
    > >
    > > I have a web server on the internet with and ASP.NET application on it,

    > the
    > > application is set to allow Anonymous Access and Integrated Windows.

    The
    > > Web.config is set to use Forms authentication. On the server side,

    where
    > > the web server is I have set IIS to disable Anonymous access and allow
    > > Integrated Windows. I have sync'd both the APSNET account on the web
    > > servers and application server so that access will be granted to the web
    > > service without the need for impersonation. However, it does not work

    !!!

    Ian, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Hi Lan,

    By default, ASPNET is a local user account, which won't be trusted by
    another machine in the domain.

    To resolve this issue, we can perform the following steps:

    1. Create a domain account on the web server and let aspnet_wp.exe run on
    this account by modifying machine.config file.
    2. Create a trust relationship from the application server to the web
    server.
    3. Modify the NTFS permission of the folder on the web service server, and
    allow the folder to be accessed by the account in another domain.

    Then, the web service can be accessed by the account in another domain. You
    can check the following links to implement this:

    315158 FIX: ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET Account on a
    Domain
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315158

    228477 HOW TO: Determine Trust Relationship Configurations
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228477

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Lewis