    with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler. Is this
    possible?

    if so how do I do it?
    Jason, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Jason

    rf Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > For example I have a GET IT HERE button linked to :
    > http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
    > with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler. Is this
    > possible?

    No.

    What the users browser does with a link is up to the user and/or her
    browser.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Jason <> pronounced to alt.html:

    > Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can only
    > be saved and not opened.

    You can suggest it via the content-type HTTP header. Details on how to
    do this depend on your server. But it's only a suggestion, and the user
    still gets to choose what to do with it.

    > http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
    > with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler.

    But it's not about what you want, it's about what your visitor wants. He
    may have configured his browser to play mp3s in a plugin embedded in the
    browser - so it may not even ask him what he wants to do with it. He may
    have configured it to play in a separate program, or he may want to
    download it and play it later. But the choice is his, not yours. And, no
    - you can't disable one of the options on the browser message, assuming
    the browser does actually show some sort of message.

    > Is this possible?

    No. Ultimately control always rests with the end user. If you don't want
    people playing your mp3s, don't make them available on your site.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Jason

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jason quothed:

    > Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can only
    > be saved and not opened.
    >
    > For example I have a GET IT HERE button linked to :
    > http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
    > with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler. Is this
    > possible?
    >
    > if so how do I do it?

    Zip the mp3 file.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Jason

    rf Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Jason quothed:
    >
    > > Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can

    only
    > > be saved and not opened.

    > Zip the mp3 file.

    What if the viewer does not have anything to open zip files with?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Jason

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, "rf" <@invalid.com> quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Jason quothed:
    > >
    > > > Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can

    > only
    > > > be saved and not opened.

    > > Zip the mp3 file.

    > What if the viewer does not have anything to open zip files with?

    A point to consider but I think most people have unzippers of some kind.
    What I find disgruntling is that some tech sites use "gzip" (-think
    that's the name,) like for instance the php manual site, and "tar"
    files, both of which I always have trouble with.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Jason

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > A point to consider but I think most people have unzippers of some kind.
    > What I find disgruntling is that some tech sites use "gzip" (-think
    > that's the name,) like for instance the php manual site, and "tar"
    > files, both of which I always have trouble with.

    Gzipped tar files are the most common form of compressed files in the
    Linux/UNIX world, though Bzip2ed tar files are catching on, as they're
    usually a little smaller.

    Winzip can open gzipped tar files.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Jason

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > > A point to consider but I think most people have unzippers of some kind.
    > > What I find disgruntling is that some tech sites use "gzip" (-think
    > > that's the name,) like for instance the php manual site, and "tar"
    > > files, both of which I always have trouble with.

    > Gzipped tar files are the most common form of compressed files in the
    > Linux/UNIX world, though Bzip2ed tar files are catching on, as they're
    > usually a little smaller.
    >
    > Winzip can open gzipped tar files.

    Yes, bzip2ed - that's one of the culprits. :)

    Anyway, XP seems to use a sort of built in zip/unzip gizmo where the zip
    file shows as a simple folder you can manipulate more or less like a
    regular folder. I haven't fooled with it much because I've been working
    way too hard lately between naps, but it seems like a good idea. Just
    hope I don't come across something kaflooey with it later on.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Neredbojias wrote:

    <snip>
    > Yes, bzip2ed - that's one of the culprits. :)
    >
    > Anyway, XP seems to use a sort of built in zip/unzip gizmo where the zip
    > file shows as a simple folder you can manipulate more or less like a
    > regular folder. I haven't fooled with it much because I've been working
    > way too hard lately between naps, but it seems like a good idea. Just
    > hope I don't come across something kaflooey with it later on.

    WinRar does them all too...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Jason

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Yes, bzip2ed - that's one of the culprits. :)
    > >
    > > Anyway, XP seems to use a sort of built in zip/unzip gizmo where the zip
    > > file shows as a simple folder you can manipulate more or less like a
    > > regular folder. I haven't fooled with it much because I've been working
    > > way too hard lately between naps, but it seems like a good idea. Just
    > > hope I don't come across something kaflooey with it later on.
    > >

    > WinRar does them all too...

    Hmm, will have to check it out. -Although I'm happy with the folder
    thing for now.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 16, 2005