How do I add an UN-OPENABLE link?..downloadable file.?

Jason

Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can only
be saved and not opened.

For example I have a GET IT HERE button linked to :
http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler. Is this
possible?

if so how do I do it?

Mark Parnell

In our last episode said:
Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can only
be saved and not opened.

You can suggest it via the content-type HTTP header. Details on how to
do this depend on your server. But it's only a suggestion, and the user
still gets to choose what to do with it.
http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler.

But it's not about what you want, it's about what your visitor wants. He
may have configured his browser to play mp3s in a plugin embedded in the
browser - so it may not even ask him what he wants to do with it. He may
have configured it to play in a separate program, or he may want to
download it and play it later. But the choice is his, not yours. And, no
- you can't disable one of the options on the browser message, assuming
the browser does actually show some sort of message.
Is this possible?

No. Ultimately control always rests with the end user. If you don't want
people playing your mp3s, don't make them available on your site.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jason quothed:
Hello, Is it possible to add a link on my website that when clicked can only
be saved and not opened.

For example I have a GET IT HERE button linked to :
http://mysite.com/content/cast2.mp3 - and instead of a window opening up
with both SAVE and OPEN, I want open not to be avaialbler. Is this
possible?

if so how do I do it?

Zip the mp3 file.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm said:
What if the viewer does not have anything to open zip files with?

A point to consider but I think most people have unzippers of some kind.
What I find disgruntling is that some tech sites use "gzip" (-think
that's the name,) like for instance the php manual site, and "tar"
files, both of which I always have trouble with.

Toby Inkster

Neredbojias said:
A point to consider but I think most people have unzippers of some kind.
What I find disgruntling is that some tech sites use "gzip" (-think
that's the name,) like for instance the php manual site, and "tar"
files, both of which I always have trouble with.

Gzipped tar files are the most common form of compressed files in the
Linux/UNIX world, though Bzip2ed tar files are catching on, as they're
usually a little smaller.

Winzip can open gzipped tar files.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
Gzipped tar files are the most common form of compressed files in the
Linux/UNIX world, though Bzip2ed tar files are catching on, as they're
usually a little smaller.

Winzip can open gzipped tar files.

Yes, bzip2ed - that's one of the culprits. :)

Anyway, XP seems to use a sort of built in zip/unzip gizmo where the zip
file shows as a simple folder you can manipulate more or less like a
regular folder. I haven't fooled with it much because I've been working
way too hard lately between naps, but it seems like a good idea. Just
hope I don't come across something kaflooey with it later on.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:

Yes, bzip2ed - that's one of the culprits. :)

Anyway, XP seems to use a sort of built in zip/unzip gizmo where the zip
file shows as a simple folder you can manipulate more or less like a
regular folder. I haven't fooled with it much because I've been working
way too hard lately between naps, but it seems like a good idea. Just
hope I don't come across something kaflooey with it later on.

WinRar does them all too...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:
Neredbojias wrote:

WinRar does them all too...

Hmm, will have to check it out. -Although I'm happy with the folder
thing for now.