How do I do this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JD, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Hi guys

    I want to make a page like this:

    http://han.grumblemutterspit.org/

    with a drop-shadow effect on the left and right edges of the main table.
    I need the shadow to be the same height as the table, which will vary
    according to content.

    I can think of a few ways to do it but which is the best way?

    o having 1-pixel table cells for each colour?

    o having a <td> each side with a background image of the shadow?

    o having a nested table on each side with a background image of the shadow?

    I want to use tables for layout, not CSS.

    Thanks for your time

    JD, Nov 26, 2005

  2. JD

    Dirk Guest

    JD schrieb:
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I want to make a page like this:
    >
    > http://han.grumblemutterspit.org/
    >
    > with a drop-shadow effect on the left and right edges of the main table.
    > I need the shadow to be the same height as the table, which will vary
    > according to content.

    Use a centered background image like this one:
    http://han.grumblemutterspit.org/mt/themes/theme-powell_street/body-bg-wide.gif

    > I can think of a few ways to do it but which is the best way?
    >
    > o having 1-pixel table cells for each colour?
    >
    > o having a <td> each side with a background image of the shadow?
    >
    > o having a nested table on each side with a background image of the
    > shadow?

    You don't really mean that, are you?

    Dirk

    Dirk, Nov 29, 2005

  3. JD

    Dirk Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I want to make a page like this:
    >
    > http://han.grumblemutterspit.org/
    >
    > with a drop-shadow effect on the left and right edges of the main table.
    > I need the shadow to be the same height as the table, which will vary
    > according to content.

    Use a centered background image like this one:
    http://han.grumblemutterspit.org/mt/themes/theme-powell_street/body-bg-wide.gif

    > I can think of a few ways to do it but which is the best way?
    >
    > o having 1-pixel table cells for each colour?
    >
    > o having a <td> each side with a background image of the shadow?
    >
    > o having a nested table on each side with a background image of the
    > shadow?

    You don't really mean that, are you?

    > I want to use tables for layout, not CSS.

    Why?

    > Thanks for your time

    Dirk

    Dirk, Nov 29, 2005