how do i handle this exception

NITIN MUNJAL

hello, i am facing a problem in the runtime. this code is throwing
exception details of which are writtten below that

CODE

string strConn=@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 ;Data Source=" +
Server.MapPath("/db.mdb");
OleDbConnection myConn = new OleDbConnection(strConn) ;
string strCon ="SELECT email FROM authenticate WHERE uname="+uname ;
OleDbCommand vicomm = new OleDbCommand(strCon, myConn) ;
myConn.Open();
OleDbDataReader reader ;
reader = vicomm.ExecuteReader() ;
reader.Read() ;
string email = reader.GetString(0) ;
reader.Close();
myConn.Close();

EXCEPTION DETAILS

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: No value given
for one or more required parameters.
Line 25: reader = vicomm.ExecuteReader() ;

WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS TO RETRIEVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS OF THE PERSON
GIVEN HIS USERNAME

TIA
NITIN

Karl Seguin

Not sure but maybe it's because you aren't wrapping uname in single quotes
(which I assume it's a string).
Also, plz use parameterized queries, which you can do without having to use
stored procedures. This will make your code more readable, secure and
flexible:

strCon = "SELECT email FROM authenticate where uname = @uname";
OleDbCommand vicomm = new OleDbCommand(strCon, myConn)
vicomm.Parameters.Add("@Uname", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = uname;

Karl

NITIN MUNJAL

well i am a newbie in this...am doing a project implementing a
discussion board....and had got frustated because of this
exception..but my code was based on what was given on the msdn
i am really relieved now....thanks a lot