How do I imolement a navigation bar?

fed up

For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
alter the navigation bar.

I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

Andy Dingley

For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

So either get yourself an editor that has good search-and-replace,
then use that. Plenty of free ones, lists posted regularly.

Or else use some trivial script as a SSI mechanism before you upload
the pages. There's probably tools out there to do it exactly like SSI,
or it's only a couple of lines of shell script. You do know how to
write shell scripts don't you? You just put you lips togeher and
blow...

Or move to hosting with SSI.

fed up

Andy Dingley said:
So either get yourself an editor that has good search-and-replace,
then use that. Plenty of free ones, lists posted regularly.

Or else use some trivial script as a SSI mechanism before you upload
the pages. There's probably tools out there to do it exactly like SSI,
or it's only a couple of lines of shell script. You do know how to
write shell scripts don't you? You just put you lips togeher and
blow...

Or move to hosting with SSI.

If you don't know the answer, don't bother posting.

tom_sawyer70

For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
alter the navigation bar.

I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

I've got a problem posted regarding including my navigation file, but
found the instructions from this site to be quite clear and easy. It
uses PHP.

http://brainstormsandraves.com/mobile/20060927.182148.shtml

I have no affiliation to the site, but found it as I was looking to do
the same thing.

Dave

Chuck Taylor

If you don't know the answer, don't bother posting.

If you don't know three valid answers when you see them, don't bother
asking. It'll save others the time wasted trying to be helpful.

Chuck Taylor

If you don't know three valid answers when you see them, don't bother
asking. It'll save others the time wasted trying to be helpful.

Perhaps it would be productive to go into those "reasons [you] won't
go into". Knowing what those constraints are and why they're there
might help lead to answers you'd consider more useful.

NicHughes

For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
alter the navigation bar.

I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

Xslt would effectively be just a batch transform, if I were you I
would skip the XML due to poor browser support and just use a plain
old fashioned batch edit to inject the navigation bar. There are lots
of scripting tools that could help you do this many of which are free,
simply pick one you like. I happen to use Apache Ant but that's
because I happen to know that tool well.