how do I move java ME app to phone

opalpa

For anyone interested, there does not appear to be a way to send java
midlet via cable connected to a Motorola RAZR. What does work is
sending it to the device via Bluetooth.

All the best,
Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

alexandre_paterson

I got NetBeans with ME plugin. Compiled and ran app in emulator.

How do I move app to phone? I have a USB cable to phone. The
particular phone is Motorola RAZR.

does the phone support phone <--> pc data transfer by Bluetooth?

(be careful, some phones "support Bluetooth", but only for the
"voice", like to use you cellphone in your car [say if you've got
a "Bluetooth stereo" in your car])

I can't give you a definitive answer here, so I only post a few
random thoughts. I hope it can help a little bit.

I've used infra-red, bluetooth and provisionning servers to send
J2ME (JME if you prefer) apps to cellphones. It doesn't mean
the cable won't work in your case. Simply I've never done
it that way.

I think I already used Bluetooth to transfer an app to an
RAZR V3 but I can't guarantee it (I don't have the phone
here to test).

I think there may be free provisionning servers out there to
which you can send your midlet (JAR and JAD) then you
can d/l with your phone for free (if you've got a cellphone
subscription allowing you to transfer data).

Another way to do it would be to write your own small
J2ME provisioning server (only half-kidding :)

More seriously, the easiest way for quick'n'dirty testing
is to send the midlet using Bluetooth (note however that
this is not representative of the problems potential customers
may encounter while trying to d/l the applications, as they'd
more than probably be using a J2ME provisioning server
and *many* problems surface when delivering the app OTA).

USB Bluetooth device can be bought for less than $20 if
I'm not mistaken.

Also note that most J2ME devices/implementations contains
nasty nasty bugs (the quality is many lightyears behind the
quality of a J2SE JVM and it'll probably always be that way,
seen how all the phonemakers rushes phone to market, with
always kinkier bell & whistles and with always, apparently,
less and less time to test/debug and fix the many issues) and
their way of "respecting the specs" are usually quite creative.

Some companies keep track of all these bugs, but their
information is not easily available (if at all). The only open
source project tracking the J2ME bugs is J2ME Polish.

For example:

http://www.j2mepolish.org/devices/Motorola/V3.html

Don't hesitate to post a message or send me an email
when you succeed, explaining which way(s) worked,

Alex

opalpa

Alex,

Thank you for your post. You are right, bluetooth is the way to go.
The link to polish's V3 page is good too.

My entry into midlet development is a success. Now that I have a
working process I can proceed to develop my ideas into applications.

Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

opalpa

My next challange is to identify my phone more precicely. The
emulators for motorola razr v3b, v3x, v3i are different. I'm currently
lost how to find out which phone I have. There also appear to be more
v3 phones than those three, but that's the ones I see emulators for.

I did not forsee needing to care about phone details so much. New
world for me.

Cheers,
Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

opalpa

One morning of reading about Java development on cellphones and about
twelve hours of developing -- installing tools, reading documentation,
using NetBeans visual development tool, and typing code text -- has
resulted in my first midlet. I call the midlet countdown as it counts
time from some start time to 0.

This midlet is a stepping stone on to other midlets. I wanted to get
my feet wet in a new developing environment. The functionality is
complete enough to wrap up and use. Netbeans project and ready to
upload jar can be downloaded from
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/midlets/countdown_nb.html

Perhaps this belongs to java advocacy group: I find that it was easy
for me to enter developing for cell phones using Java technology. I am
pleased with how well my Java programming knowledge transfered to
making programs for cell phones. For example using Player class to
play audio was easy to do given prior experience with JMF. I also like
that java.util package is present in Java midlet programming. Being
able to make programs for cell phones is yet another jewel in Java's
crown.

All the best,
Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

Andrew Thompson

(e-mail address removed) opalinski from opalpaweb wrote:
(big snip)
Congrats on your success!
Perhaps this belongs to java advocacy group:

Perhaps it does. But coming as the conclusion
to a technical thread, and given you threw in freeware*,
I (for one) am prepared to overlook it. ;-)

* I do not actually have a phone (/service) that can
run midlets, but that is hardly the point.

Andrew T.

tom arnll

i am trying to run a midlet that uses an optional package ('location' for
GPS interface). When I compile the system sees the package and e'thing is
fine. but when i try to run the midlet, i get 'NoClassDefFoundError'. i
have tried adding the path to the emulator script but with no effect.And
when I add the following code to see the run time paths being used, the
system displays 'null':

import java.util.Properties;
System.out.println( System.getProperty( "java.class.path" ) );

Thanks,

Tom Arnall
north spit, ca

tom arnll

Please post script, language of script, and architecture which you're
playing on.

i sort of dealt with the problem by just jarring my app and the Location
classes and running the stuff on my phone. unfortunately my phone (3155i
Nokia) does not seem to speak to the Location GPS interface.

tom arnall

tom arnll

I got NetBeans with ME plugin. Compiled and ran app in emulator.

How do I move app to phone? I have a USB cable to phone. The
particular phone is Motorola RAZR.
have you tried sending the stuff to a web server then fetching it down from
the server to your phone. also there is rumkin.com which eliminates the
need for a phone-i'net connection.

tom arnall
north spit, ca
usa