How do I prevent new window from sharing session vars?

Guy

Is there a way to prevent new browsers windows from sharing session
variables with the original window?

Our team has an ASP.Net app that lets users analyze portfolio risk
given certain portfolio constructions. The set weights to certain
asset types, hit calculate and see some results. Our problem is that
users want to compare different situations side by side. So they
either hit CTRL+N or Choose "File, New" launch a new browser window,
change their inputs and recalculate. Change things some more and hit
calculate again. But since they spawned Window 2 from Window 1, and
we store the inputs in session variables, the new inputs from Window 2
show up in the calcs for Window 1. Is there anyway around this?

We have too much data to store on the querystring by the way.

Guy

Guest

Guy,

You are out of luck here. New session involves a new process, and you cannot
launch a new process unless you have elevated scripting privs.

It may be slow, but consider going with ViewState instead.

-- Alex Papadimoulis

bruce barker

you should always design for this case. use a transaction guid to track a
set of session values. on postback lookup the values for the transaction
guid in the postback (you might want to use sqlsessions to reduce memory
load).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)