How do twisted and multiprocessing.Process create zombies?

bitcycle

In python, using twisted loopingcall, multiprocessing.Process, and multiprocessing.Queue; is it possible to create a zombie process. And, if so, then how?

Stefan Behnel

bitcycle, 05.07.2011 23:52:
In python, using twisted loopingcall, multiprocessing.Process, and multiprocessing.Queue; is it possible to create a zombie process. And, if so, then how?

I think it's best to consult your local Voodoo master on the matter of
zombie creation processes.

That being said, there are far too many zombies around already, so please
don't add to that.

Stefan

Dennis Lee Bieber

In python, using twisted loopingcall, multiprocessing.Process, and multiprocessing.Queue; is it possible to create a zombie process. And, if so, then how?

I'd suggest you read your OS documentation on just what a zombie
process is... Then extrapolate that to what multiprocessing and twisted
are doing behind the scenes.

Nobody

In python, using twisted loopingcall, multiprocessing.Process, and
multiprocessing.Queue; is it possible to create a zombie process. And, if
so, then how?

A zombie is a process which has terminated but hasn't been wait()ed on
(aka "reaped") by its parent.

Most libraries which create child processes make some effort to reap them.
E.g. the subprocess module keeps a list of "orphaned" processes (those for
which the Popen object was deleted while the underlying process was still
alive), and polls the list periodically (specifically, whenever a new
Popen object is created).