    How do you pronounce char?

    --
    Billy

    Billy Bong, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Billy Bong

    Joakim Hove Guest

    > How do you pronounce char?

    I pronounce like in character - but I live in Norway so you probably
    should not heed my advice :)

    Joakim

    Joakim Hove, Jan 29, 2008

  3. Billy Bong

    Richard Bos Guest

    Billy Bong <> wrote:

    > How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

    RTFFAQ: <http://c-faq.com/misc/pronounce.html>

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 29, 2008
  4. Billy Bong

    cr88192 Guest

    "Billy Bong" <> wrote in message
    > How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
    >
    > I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
    > the char in character.
    >
    > Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
    > charcoal.
    >
    > How do you pronounce char?

    how do you pronounce lots of things?...

    ok, my case, like 'car'.
    and, how is this: [kAr\].

    [kAr], [xAr\], ... would probably also work.

    however, not [kA@], as that is just lame.

    oh, those, poor, poor, people who have the misfortune of living in the land
    absent either 'r' or a hard 'ng' sound. we are [spikiN], not [spIk@n]...

    cr88192, Jan 29, 2008
  5. In article <wzAnj.1303$>,
    Billy Bong <> wrote:
    >How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

    The standard is for computer programs. It does not specify
    pronunciation.

    -- Richard
    --
    :wq

    Richard Tobin, Jan 29, 2008
  6. "Billy Bong" <> wrote in message
    > How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
    >
    > I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
    > the char in character.
    >
    > Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
    > charcoal.
    >
    > How do you pronounce char?

    "Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly "integer"
    and "size type".

    --
    Free games and programming goodies.
    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 29, 2008
  7. Billy Bong

    santosh Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > "Billy Bong" <> wrote in message
    >> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
    >>
    >> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced
    >> like the char in character.
    >>
    >> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
    >> charcoal.
    >>
    >> How do you pronounce char?
    >>

    > "Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly
    > "integer" and "size type".

    Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
    as "floating point" and so on?

    santosh, Jan 29, 2008
  8. "santosh" <> wrote in message

    > Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
    > as "floating point" and so on?

    "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    class.

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > "santosh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
    >> as "floating point" and so on?
    >>

    > "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    > class.

    My problem with this is that char is not synonym for character, and
    float is not a synonym for real value.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 29, 2008
  10. Billy Bong

    Ido Yehieli Guest

    On Jan 29, 2:10 pm, "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote:
    > "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    > class.

    But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the rational
    fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not a real number.

    -Ido.

    Ido Yehieli, Jan 29, 2008
  11. Ido Yehieli wrote:
    > On Jan 29, 2:10 pm, "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote:
    >> "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    >> class.

    > But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the rational
    > fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not a real number.

    1/3 can be exactly represented in any implementation for which FLT_RADIX
    is a multiple of 3. Admittedly this amounts to relatively few
    implementations...

    I'm disappointed that the C Standard requires an integer radix greater
    than 1. What's wrong with negative radices like -2 or even irrational
    radices like in phinary? <g>

    Philip Potter, Jan 29, 2008
  12. "Philip Potter" <> wrote in message

    > I'm disappointed that the C Standard requires an integer radix greater
    > than 1. What's wrong with negative radices like -2 or even irrational
    > radices like in phinary? <g>

    phinary computers have some technical advantages. No two adjacent bits can
    be set, so you can detect memory corruption quite easily. Also, it might be
    possible to make the transistors smaller.

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 29, 2008
  13. Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "Philip Potter" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm disappointed that the C Standard requires an integer radix greater
    >> than 1. What's wrong with negative radices like -2 or even irrational
    >> radices like in phinary? <g>
    >>

    > phinary computers have some technical advantages. No two adjacent bits can
    > be set, so you can detect memory corruption quite easily.

    "phits" surely? :) And this doesn't detect all single-bit errors, only a
    certain restricted class where the bit is adjacent to another bit.

    > Also, it might be possible to make the transistors smaller.

    That is probably true. However it takes more phits to count to a given
    integer than the equivalent number of bits, partly through the ban on
    adjacent set bits and partly through the inclusion of a load of
    irrational sqrt(5)-based numbers in the gamut. As a result, more
    transistors will be needed.

    Philip Potter, Jan 29, 2008
  14. Billy Bong wrote:

    > How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
    >
    > I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
    > the char in character.
    >
    > Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
    > charcoal.
    >
    > How do you pronounce char?

    Didn't this exact question come up a few months ago?

    In any case, I pronounce it "Throatwobbler Mangrove".

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Jan 29, 2008
  15. "Malcolm McLean" <> writes:
    > "Billy Bong" <> wrote in message
    >> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
    >>
    >> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
    >> the char in character.
    >>
    >> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
    >> charcoal.
    >>
    >> How do you pronounce char?
    >>

    > "Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly
    > "integer" and "size type".

    Bad idea.

    "char" is the whole word. "character" is a different word with a
    different meaning.

    "int" is the whole word. "integer" is a different word, with a
    different meaning. ``unsigned short'' is an integer type; it's not
    ``int''. You should consider at least acknowledging that your
    campaign to require int to be 64 bits, and to eliminate all other
    integer types, has not yet succeeded.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <>
    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Jan 29, 2008
  16. Billy Bong

    user923005 Guest

    user923005, Jan 29, 2008
  17. Billy Bong

    CBFalconer Guest

    Ido Yehieli wrote:
    > "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a
    >> touch of class.

    > But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the
    > rational fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not
    > a real number.

    As integers, try 1, 3, 0. If you want exact values you are out of
    luck, even if the machine has floats, doubles, etc. of any finite
    size. However you can represent 1/3 as a rational.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Jan 29, 2008
  18. Billy Bong

    GRain Guest

    In China, we pronounced it like chare.
    "Billy Bong" <> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:wzAnj.1303$...

    GRain, Jan 30, 2008
  19. Billy Bong

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > "santosh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
    >> as "floating point" and so on?
    >>

    > "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    > class.

    But that would be off-topic.

    --
    Tactile Hedgehog
    The "good old days" used to be much better.

    Chris Dollin, Jan 30, 2008
  20. Billy Bong

    Joe Wright Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > "santosh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
    >> as "floating point" and so on?
    >>

    > "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
    > class.

    There is no 'class' in C. Maybe C++. :)

    --
    Joe Wright
    "If you think Health Care is expensive now, wait until it's free."

    Joe Wright, Jan 31, 2008