    When I use LYNX to view it, it is formated perfectly.

    My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
    without allowing viewing source or safe as?

    nntp, Oct 26, 2004

  2. nntp

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:47:18 -0400, nntp <> wrote:

    > I am trying to parse
    > http://www.ebay.com without success.
    >
    > I view the source, and I see a lot of ?/td>. This page is unsavable.
    >
    > It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no
    > long
    > display right in IE.
    >
    > When I use LYNX to view it, it is formated perfectly.
    >
    > My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
    > without allowing viewing source or safe as?

    Opened the source fine with Opera and IE. Saved the IE one to my harddrive
    and opened it in Opera, works fine.

    So, I;m not sure what you did, but I don't face the same issue.

    Neal, Oct 26, 2004

  3. nntp

    nntp Guest

    > > I am trying to parse
    > > http://www.ebay.com without success.
    > >
    > > I view the source, and I see a lot of ?/td>. This page is unsavable.
    > >
    > > It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no
    > > long
    > > display right in IE.
    > >
    > > When I use LYNX to view it, it is formated perfectly.
    > >
    > > My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
    > > without allowing viewing source or safe as?

    > Opened the source fine with Opera and IE. Saved the IE one to my harddrive
    > and opened it in Opera, works fine.
    >
    > So, I;m not sure what you did, but I don't face the same issue.

    Did you see
    ?/td>
    in the file?

    I can save it as HTML file from IE, but once if I view source and save
    source, the whole format is gone, and got a lot of ?/td>. So I wonder what
    special charactor in the ebay source file causes that?

    This is:
    Save as something.htm
    Double click something.htm
    Gone!

    nntp, Oct 26, 2004
  4. nntp

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:54:00 -0400, nntp <> wrote:

    > Did you see
    > ?/td>
    > in the file?

    Not once.

    > I can save it as HTML file from IE, but once if I view source and save
    > source, the whole format is gone, and got a lot of ?/td>. So I wonder
    > what
    > special charactor in the ebay source file causes that?

    Hmm. Perhaps your text editor is using some different character coding. Do
    you see any <'s in your saved document? In the copy on my drive, it's a
    mess but it works.

    What text editor are you using?

    Neal, Oct 26, 2004
  5. nntp

    nntp Guest

    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:54:00 -0400, nntp <> wrote:
    >
    > > Did you see
    > > ?/td>
    > > in the file?

    > Not once.
    >
    > > I can save it as HTML file from IE, but once if I view source and save
    > > source, the whole format is gone, and got a lot of ?/td>. So I wonder
    > > what
    > > special charactor in the ebay source file causes that?

    > Hmm. Perhaps your text editor is using some different character coding. Do
    > you see any <'s in your saved document? In the copy on my drive, it's a
    > mess but it works.
    >
    > What text editor are you using?

    I have a lot of < and </. Do you think maybe because I am using a different
    encoding OS? I am not using English. But I can do most of the work well.
    I found the special charactor now. It display as

    but as
    >?/div> in windows

    Search this string <!--Header code starts-->
    The special charactor is right before <!--Header code starts-->

    Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

    nntp, Oct 26, 2004
  6. nntp

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:25:31 -0400, nntp <> wrote:

    > Search this string <!--Header code starts-->
    > The special charactor is right before <!--Header code starts-->

    <!-- outage notice --><!--
    \\view\header_gen\html\html00\headers\0\2\1\5_0.html -->
    <!--Header code starts--><script type="text/javascript"
    language="JavaScript1.1"
    src="http://include.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/js/poweredby/poweredby.js"></script>

    > Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

    Out of my league there. I have no idea.

    Neal, Oct 26, 2004
  7. nntp

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html nntp said:

    > I am trying to parse http://www.ebay.com without success.

    fine for me

    > It displays perfectly in IE, but once the source is saved/viewed, it no long
    > display right in IE.

    don't save pages using IE, it rewrites and adds extra bits.

    > My question is how Ebay allow any brower to display the content right
    > without allowing viewing source or safe as?

    its not possible to hide the source. the problem is on your end.

    --
    #brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 26, 2004
  8. nntp

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Oct 27, 2004
  9. nntp

    rf Guest

    nntp wrote:

    > Do you think it is a unicode thing or what?

    No. I think you have a problem at your end. Nobody else can see what you
    describe.

    Try emptying your cache. IE has problems when the cache is full.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 27, 2004