    the one on using the gui editor, but the end product is toothless :)

    Thanks

    , Aug 23, 2006

  2. IchBin Guest

    wrote:
    > ...in terms of actual practical programming?
    >
    > To make the question more specific, I've gone through the HFJ book
    > (first edition) and thought I had a reasonable grasp of some of the
    > beginning java concepts. Fast forward several months with no real time
    > to put the information to use. I download Java SE 5, with the NetBeans
    > 5 IDE (pretty nifty, that), and start to construct a frame to play
    > with.
    >
    > Here's where I start running into problems, and it's taken me most of a
    > day to figure out why. The HFJ book's author constructs his guis with
    > local variables in his 'go' function, and Netbeans wants to construct
    > them as Private globals to the gui .java file.
    >
    > Is that best practice at this point, and if so, can someone suggest a
    > decent tutorial on how construct a functional gui in netbeans? I found
    > the one on using the gui editor, but the end product is toothless :)
    >
    > Thanks

    I have read their book on Design Patterns and found it very good.

    --
    Thanks in Advance...
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Tim B Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ...in terms of actual practical programming?

    I have Head First Servlets & Jsp and Head First Design Patterns. They're
    both quite good.

    Tim B, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Mark Space Guest

    Tim B wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> ...in terms of actual practical programming?
    >>

    > I have Head First Servlets & Jsp

    I've read through this one, and I think it's excellent for what it is:
    a beginner's guide to Servlets and JSP. It is not a substitute for
    reading the manual or the spec, but it's darn close imho.

    The others I can't swear to, but at a guess being compatible with
    NetBeans is probably a best practice, if your going to be using the
    thing. :D With out knowing more about these "go" functions, I can't
    say. There's a lot of stuff in HFSJ though that strikes me as obviously
    newbie code for newbie's sakes, and I wouldn't consider putting it in
    production.

    Mark Space, Aug 24, 2006
  5. noname Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:14:02 -0700, wrote:

    > ...in terms of actual practical programming?
    >
    > To make the question more specific, I've gone through the HFJ book
    > (first edition) and thought I had a reasonable grasp of some of the
    > beginning java concepts. Fast forward several months with no real time
    > to put the information to use. I download Java SE 5, with the NetBeans
    > 5 IDE (pretty nifty, that), and start to construct a frame to play
    > with.
    >
    > Here's where I start running into problems, and it's taken me most of a
    > day to figure out why. The HFJ book's author constructs his guis with
    > local variables in his 'go' function, and Netbeans wants to construct
    > them as Private globals to the gui .java file.
    >
    > Is that best practice at this point, and if so, can someone suggest a
    > decent tutorial on how construct a functional gui in netbeans? I found
    > the one on using the gui editor, but the end product is toothless :)
    >
    > Thanks

    I found Head First Design Patterns, pretty good. Without it, i would have
    hardly understood the philosophy behind java (design pattern). And it's a
    pretty easy book to read, well written, very well explained.

    noname, Aug 24, 2006