Java books for n00b

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sathyaish, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. Sathyaish

    Sathyaish Guest

    All you Java mavens out there, I want to indulge. What book would you
    recommend as the best, or one of the best, for someone familiar with
    C/C++/VB6/VB.NET/C#, for learning Java?

    I did some VJ++ in 1999 and worked on the then newly released JDK v1.2,
    so I am already familiar with the basic framework.

    And, more importantly, where's the whole gang, where's the happening
    place for Java folks, like it is:

    microsoft.public.dotnet.*
    Channel 9
    blogs.msdn.com/* (various .NET teams blogs)
    VB Forums
    Extreme VB
    Code Guru
    JoS/?dotnet

    for .NET. Where's the party going on for Java stuff?

    PS: Tell me only the best ones, like the K&R for C, the Mythical Man
    Month for project management, GoF for Design Patterns, Jeff Richter's
    Applied MS Framework Programming for .NET etc. Please tell me those
    type of books for the beginner who has had exposure to other languages.
    Some book that doesn't start with "what a for loop is", but relates
    language concepts accross different languages so that one can compare
    and limn the strengths and limitations of Java. Like, "Java does not
    have a pre-processor" and stuff like that would be more helpful.
    Sathyaish, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Sathyaish wrote:
    > All you Java mavens out there, I want to indulge. What book would you
    > recommend as the best, or one of the best, for someone familiar with
    > C/C++/VB6/VB.NET/C#, for learning Java?
    >
    > I did some VJ++ in 1999 and worked on the then newly released JDK v1.2,
    > so I am already familiar with the basic framework.
    >
    > And, more importantly, where's the whole gang, where's the happening
    > place for Java folks, like it is:
    >
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.*
    > Channel 9
    > blogs.msdn.com/* (various .NET teams blogs)
    > VB Forums
    > Extreme VB
    > Code Guru
    > JoS/?dotnet
    >
    > for .NET. Where's the party going on for Java stuff?
    >

    > PS: Tell me only the best ones, like the K&R for C, the Mythical Man
    > Month for project management, GoF for Design Patterns, Jeff Richter's
    > Applied MS Framework Programming for .NET etc. Please tell me those
    > type of books for the beginner who has had exposure to other languages.
    > Some book that doesn't start with "what a for loop is", but relates
    > language concepts accross different languages so that one can compare
    > and limn the strengths and limitations of Java. Like, "Java does not
    > have a pre-processor" and stuff like that would be more helpful.

    Take a wander over to TechBookReport's Java page
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html) to get the run down of
    the best books. From what you describe I'd say that Bruce Eckel's
    Thinking In Java is definitely one to put at the top of your list. Also
    Just Java 2 is also one worth looking at.

    As for places to hang out:

    Artima,
    The ServerSide
    Java Today
    Sun Developer Network

    HTH

    --
    TechBookReport developer book reviews: http://www.techbookreport.com
    TechBookReport, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Sathyaish

    Sathyaish Guest

    Hey! Thanks a lot, TechbookReport. I've been to your site. I've known
    it for long for the Joe Bloggs series it hosts. Isn't that your site
    that hosts -- "Who's Joe Bloggs?". I love that series.

    Thanks for the information, too.
    Sathyaish, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Sathyaish wrote:
    > Hey! Thanks a lot, TechbookReport. I've been to your site. I've known
    > it for long for the Joe Bloggs series it hosts. Isn't that your site
    > that hosts -- "Who's Joe Bloggs?". I love that series.
    >
    > Thanks for the information, too.

    Yep, TechBookReport is the home of 'Meet Joe Bloggs' - but it's also a
    book and software review site with lots of Java content.

    --
    TechBookReport Java: http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html
    TechBookReport, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Sathyaish

    Ben Guest

    TechBookReport wrote:
    > Sathyaish wrote:
    >
    >> Hey! Thanks a lot, TechbookReport. I've been to your site. I've known
    >> it for long for the Joe Bloggs series it hosts. Isn't that your site
    >> that hosts -- "Who's Joe Bloggs?". I love that series.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the information, too.
    >>

    > Yep, TechBookReport is the home of 'Meet Joe Bloggs' - but it's also a
    > book and software review site with lots of Java content.

    You can also try the O'Reilly edition books: Learning JAVA is the one I
    would start with. Then they also have in depth books on specific topics
    in JAVA such as Threads, SWING etc... The author does a good job
    comparing JAVA to other languages, especially to C++.

    Ben
    Ben, Jul 26, 2006