How good/complete is the eXo platform?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim Cochrane, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Jim Cochrane

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    I'm working with a team that will be developing open source applications for
    governments and we are doing research into a good tool set. eXo is one of
    the products we're considering using.

    I thought I could get some help and advice here as to how appropriate this
    product would be for us. So far, we have the following criteria that
    need to be met (in addition to the obvious ones, such as 100% open source
    tools, if possible, and that they support Java apps):

    - Good for both medium-sized and larger projects (we may use a tool like
    Zope for the small projects).

    - Supports developing of well-structured, high quality systems.

    - Flexible - Gets along well with other tools and allows "plugging in"
    tools that aren't part of the platform.

    - Well established - Is used a lot, or is very likely to be used a lot,
    in the future - for both OS and commercial projects. [Being used
    a lot implies a reputation for quality and reliability, and also tends
    to look good on the resume :)]

    Any advice, information, caveats, etc. with respect to using eXo to help
    meet our criteria would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    --
    Jim Cochrane;
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

    Jim Cochrane, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Jim Cochrane

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 20 Jun 2004 12:02:30 -0600, Jim Cochrane
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >So far, we have the following criteria that
    >need to be met (in addition to the obvious ones, such as 100% open source
    >tools, if possible, and that they support Java apps):

    You left out one important thing for people not familiar with exo.
    What does the tool do?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Jim Cochrane

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    In article <>, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On 20 Jun 2004 12:02:30 -0600, Jim Cochrane
    ><> wrote or quoted :
    >
    >>So far, we have the following criteria that
    >>need to be met (in addition to the obvious ones, such as 100% open source
    >>tools, if possible, and that they support Java apps):

    > You left out one important thing for people not familiar with exo.
    > What does the tool do?

    OK - What is eXo intended to be used for? What are its capabilities
    and how well are they implemented?

    :)

    Jim Cochrane, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Jim Cochrane

    Chris Smith Guest

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > OK - What is eXo intended to be used for? What are its capabilities
    > and how well are they implemented?

    Well, two posts ago you sounded as if you knew this very well. I just
    took a look at the main page on SourceForge, and the answer seems to be
    "it's the kitchen sink." Such products tend to add a lot of upfront
    time to development, as the team tries to figure out the best way to use
    the kitchen sink. Are there specific benefits you expect to get from
    eXo?

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Jim Cochrane

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    In article <4.net>, Chris Smith wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >> OK - What is eXo intended to be used for? What are its capabilities
    >> and how well are they implemented?

    > Well, two posts ago you sounded as if you knew this very well. I just

    Not really. I did some reading on their site and have a pretty good idea
    what it can be used for, but I don't think I could say I know in detail how
    it can be used until I've actually dug into the documentation and tried out
    the product a bit. (Also, I was responding to Roedy's point that some
    people would be interested in the answer to that question.)

    > took a look at the main page on SourceForge, and the answer seems to be
    > "it's the kitchen sink." Such products tend to add a lot of upfront

    Perhaps it's everything but the kitchen sink, or maybe everything and
    the kitchen sink. :)

    > time to development, as the team tries to figure out the best way to use
    > the kitchen sink. Are there specific benefits you expect to get from
    > eXo?

    Well, to start with, I would say at least: the use of a good Java-friendly
    content management system. And help in developing Java web apps using good
    frameworks and libraries that will save time and help us to develop
    well-structured applications that will not be difficult or expensive to
    maintain. It'd also be nice if the platform was friendly to the occasional
    use of other languages, such as Perl. Good support for web services
    development would also be nice.

    However, you're the only one who has responded to my query so far. From
    the research I've done on eXo so far, it appeared that it was a respected
    platform with a pretty good user base; but it looks like either I was
    wrong or its users don't frequent this newsgroup, or perhaps people who
    have tried it don't like it and don't think it's worth reporting about.

    Jim Cochrane, Jun 22, 2004