How good/complete is the eXo platform?

Jim Cochrane

I'm working with a team that will be developing open source applications for
governments and we are doing research into a good tool set. eXo is one of
the products we're considering using.

I thought I could get some help and advice here as to how appropriate this
product would be for us. So far, we have the following criteria that
need to be met (in addition to the obvious ones, such as 100% open source
tools, if possible, and that they support Java apps):

- Good for both medium-sized and larger projects (we may use a tool like
Zope for the small projects).

- Supports developing of well-structured, high quality systems.

- Flexible - Gets along well with other tools and allows "plugging in"
tools that aren't part of the platform.

- Well established - Is used a lot, or is very likely to be used a lot,
in the future - for both OS and commercial projects. [Being used
a lot implies a reputation for quality and reliability, and also tends
to look good on the resume :)]

Any advice, information, caveats, etc. with respect to using eXo to help
meet our criteria would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Roedy Green

So far, we have the following criteria that
need to be met (in addition to the obvious ones, such as 100% open source
tools, if possible, and that they support Java apps):

You left out one important thing for people not familiar with exo.
What does the tool do?

Jim Cochrane

You left out one important thing for people not familiar with exo.
What does the tool do?

OK - What is eXo intended to be used for? What are its capabilities
and how well are they implemented?

:)

Chris Smith

Jim said:
OK - What is eXo intended to be used for? What are its capabilities
and how well are they implemented?

Well, two posts ago you sounded as if you knew this very well. I just
took a look at the main page on SourceForge, and the answer seems to be
"it's the kitchen sink." Such products tend to add a lot of upfront
time to development, as the team tries to figure out the best way to use
the kitchen sink. Are there specific benefits you expect to get from
eXo?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jim Cochrane

Well, two posts ago you sounded as if you knew this very well. I just

Not really. I did some reading on their site and have a pretty good idea
what it can be used for, but I don't think I could say I know in detail how
it can be used until I've actually dug into the documentation and tried out
the product a bit. (Also, I was responding to Roedy's point that some
people would be interested in the answer to that question.)
took a look at the main page on SourceForge, and the answer seems to be
"it's the kitchen sink." Such products tend to add a lot of upfront

Perhaps it's everything but the kitchen sink, or maybe everything and
the kitchen sink. :)
time to development, as the team tries to figure out the best way to use
the kitchen sink. Are there specific benefits you expect to get from
eXo?

Well, to start with, I would say at least: the use of a good Java-friendly
content management system. And help in developing Java web apps using good
frameworks and libraries that will save time and help us to develop
well-structured applications that will not be difficult or expensive to
maintain. It'd also be nice if the platform was friendly to the occasional
use of other languages, such as Perl. Good support for web services
development would also be nice.

However, you're the only one who has responded to my query so far. From
the research I've done on eXo so far, it appeared that it was a respected
platform with a pretty good user base; but it looks like either I was
wrong or its users don't frequent this newsgroup, or perhaps people who
have tried it don't like it and don't think it's worth reporting about.