How is the JAVA and Oracle combination in market

sanjeev.atvankar

Hi Gurus,

I need a advice on below.

I have got 1.5 yr. exp. on Oracle 9i (SQL and PL-SQL).
Now I have entered in JAVA and J2EE.
I am going to give certification SCJP and OCA(9i).

Could you suggest me Is this combination will help me get better job.

What is the future tecnology that suites above combination

Thanks in advance
Sanjeev
(e-mail address removed)

Lew

I have got 1.5 yr. exp. on Oracle 9i (SQL and PL-SQL).
Now I have entered in JAVA

It's spelled, "Java".
and J2EE.

These days Sun calls it, "JEE".
I am going to give certification SCJP and OCA(9i).

Oracle's RDBMS is up to version 11. I'm not sure what "OCA" is - some
Oracle-specific acronym?
Could you suggest me Is this combination will help me get better job.

I suggest that you study the current versions of these products for your
certifications, not old versions.
What is the future tecnology that suites above combination

Catching up with the present technology would be good. Knowing the correct
spellings of your buzzwords will help you get the job - I would hesitate to
hire a Java programmer who can't spell the name of the language correctly.

Java and Oracle are good things to know. Bear in mind that Oracle, like all
SQL-based RDBMS products, deviates from the SQL standard in certain ways.

Learn at least one more database system, say, PostgreSQL (a.k.a., "Postgres").
It's free. Learn the current version of Oracle - their "Oracle Express"
version is free of fees to use and deploy.

Keep current with Java, too - it's up to version 6 now.

Getting the better job is not just about knowing one or two languages. You
need to market yourself effectively to potential employers. This involves
mostly your listening and other "people" skills, much more than your
technical. You not only have to have the technical ability but show employers
that you can use that for their specific needs.

Nearly every applicant for every job you want is technically qualified for the
job. You're going to win on the strength of how committed you appear, how
hard working, how ready to put up with their crap.

Daniel Dyer

It's spelled, "Java".

But it's a fun interview question to treat it as an acronymn. Ask the
candidate "what does JAVA stand for?" and see how they react. Are they
confident in their knowledge and, if they are, are they diplomatic in
their answer?
These days Sun calls it, "JEE".

I may be wrong, but I think that officially it is Java EE (or JavaEE) and
never JEE. It's all a conspiracy to confuse technical recruiters.
Nearly every applicant for every job you want is technically qualified
for the job.

If only that were true...

Dan.

Lew

Daniel said:
I may be wrong, but I think that officially it is Java EE (or JavaEE)
and never JEE. It's all a conspiracy to confuse technical recruiters.

You're probably right, but when Sun says,
Formerly, the platform was known as Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition
(J2EE), and specific versions had "dot numbers" such as J2EE 1.4.
The "2" is dropped from the name, as well as the dot number.
<http://java.sun.com/javaee/>

it implies that you can say, "JEE", even though they themselves don't.

I'm going to continue to call it "JEE" and blame Sun if they don't like it.
At least I dropped the "2". If they want us to get used to a brand, they need
to stop changing it with every release. I notice McDonald's has accepted the
North American folk name "Mickey D's"; sometimes the people can influence the
man. Maybe if we call Sun's enterprise specification "JEE", then Sun will
have to accept it.

Daniel said:
If only that were true...

It doesn't have to be. As an applicant you have to assume it. As an
interviewer you assume the opposite.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

I need a advice on below.

I have got 1.5 yr. exp. on Oracle 9i (SQL and PL-SQL).
Now I have entered in JAVA and J2EE.
I am going to give certification SCJP and OCA(9i).

Could you suggest me Is this combination will help me get better job.

Java/J2EE (JEE) and Oracle is a pretty good combo.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Daniel said:
I may be wrong, but I think that officially it is Java EE (or JavaEE)
and never JEE. It's all a conspiracy to confuse technical recruiters.

I think you are right but the JEE abbreviation is used widely.

Arne

motosauro

Hi Gurus,

I need a advice on below.

I have got 1.5 yr. exp. on Oracle 9i (SQL and PL-SQL).
Now I have entered in JAVA and J2EE.
I am going to give certification SCJP and OCA(9i).

Could you suggest me Is this combination will help me get better job.

What is the future tecnology that suites above combination

Thanks in advance
Sanjeev
(e-mail address removed)

IMHO The Java-Oracle combo is good, nevertheless what matters really
is how flexible you are: in an employer's perspective it doesn't
matter how good you are in a specific technology. Technologies change
so often and so fast that the main thing should be how fast you could
cope with new languages and so on. Only an idiot employer would want
you to be perfectly trained for his needs from the start (i.e. if
you're not hired for customer care call-centers ;) )
As someone stated above, try to broaden your knowledge, learning the
basics of one or more RDBMS more (PostgreSQL and MySql would be a good
choice) so that you can show that you know enough basics to adapt to
wathever the employer can throw at you.

Best wishes

motosauro

IMHO The Java-Oracle combo is good, nevertheless what matters really
is how flexible you are: in an employer's perspective it doesn't
matter how good you are in a specific technology. Technologies change
so often and so fast that the main thing should be how fast you could
cope with new languages and so on. Only an idiot employer would want
you to be perfectly trained for his needs from the start (i.e. if
you're not hired for customer care call-centers ;) )
As someone stated above, try to broaden your knowledge, learning the
basics of one or more RDBMS more (PostgreSQL and MySql would be a good
choice) so that you can show that you know enough basics to adapt to
wathever the employer can throw at you.

Best wishes

P.S.
I'm no Guru :D