    within VS or do you have to use some sort of FTP application?

    I'm supposing that when you create an applicaiton in VS you do it in
    LocalHost first then move it to a web server via FTP. Is this right?
    Woody Splawn, May 6, 2004

  2. Woody Splawn

    WJ Guest

    ((I am copying from a thread named "Moving Asp.Net application to server"
    initiated by "Jim Heavey" on May 3, 2004))

    The best is to let MS/Visual Studio .Net system to "copy project" for you.
    Please do th followings:

    1. Goto your IIS server and create a new web site. During the web site
    creation, specify a physical folder on the IIS server for the new site.
    Example: C:\MyDotNetWebFolder.

    2. Secure the new web site and specify its default home page if any.

    3. Specify Host Header under the "Advanced tab" such as www.yourWeb.com.
    This is the url name your client will punch into the web browser address
    field at their end.

    4. From the developer PC, use "map network drive" to map to the web folder
    created in IIS server earlier (#1).

    5. Bring up VS.Net IDE and open up your solution.

    6. Highlight the "Project Name" in the "Solution Explorer"

    7. Click "Project/Copy Project" from the VS.Net pull down menu.

    8. Click "File share" under the Web access method

    9. Browse to the mapped folder as done in step# 4.

    10. Select "only files needed to run this application" under the "Copy"
    label. Donot copy source files if you wish to keep them secret.

    11. Click "OK". This action will copy all your *.aspx, web.config, and *.dll
    to your IIS server. Ignore the Red X error if it is thrown about "could not
    modify BIN folder ACL...."

    12. Fire up your MS/IE and punch in your newly created .net web site and
    observe your wonderful work !!!

    13. Finally, go to the IIS server and view the contents of the newly created
    web site. You should see all your *.aspx files and Web.Config file under the
    root folder and a BIN folder that houses your assembly (*.DLL).

    PS: In addition, there are lots of good books about how to install and
    administer MS/IIS software on Windows 2k, 2k3. I prefer W2k3 if your shop
    can afford it. It is called MS/Application Server or IIS-6. All you need is
    Windows 2003 Standard Edition or the cheapest is W2k3 Server Web edition.

    Hope this helps

    John

    "Woody Splawn" <> wrote in message
    > Forgive my ignorance but how do you get your applicaiton written in VS

    from

    WJ, May 6, 2004

  3. Woody Splawn

    DalePres Guest

    The easiest way is to choose Copy Project from the project menu in VS.net.
    Choose FrontPage as the web format to copy with and then the server's
    FrontPage extensions will configure the IIS application and all for you.
    It's a piece of cake.

    Dale

    DalePres, May 6, 2004
  4. Woody Splawn

    WJ Guest

    "DalePres" <> wrote in message
    > The easiest way is to choose Copy Project from the project menu in VS.net.
    > Choose FrontPage as the web format to copy with and then the server's
    > FrontPage extensions will configure the IIS application and all for you.
    > It's a piece of cake.

    Agree. But nowaday, FPSE is to be phased out by Windows Sharepoint Service.
    Which is the best thing. :)

    John
    WJ, May 6, 2004
  5. Woody Splawn

    Woody Splawn Guest

    I greatly appreciate your assistance. I have been using VS.net for a year
    and a half but primarily for Windows apps. It is really testing me to see
    if I have enough smarts to write a web app. Please bare with me.

    My configuration is a little different. I can not afford a web server of my
    own so I am using a company called Verio. I understand they are one of the
    biggest. They do web hosting with .Net Framework 1.1, and I understand I
    can even make use of an Access or SQL Server 2000 database they provide.
    The whole purpose of my little site is to do testing and allow myself to
    find out what I can and can not do.

    I transferred my domain name to their site. When I type in my domain name
    in a web browser I get a default message of Welcome to XXX.com. This is
    kept in a file on their server called NewSiteDefaultPage.asp. I have been
    able to access this file from within VS and have actually modified it a
    little. I do this from within VS by selecting File, Open, File from Web. It
    asks me for my name and PW and next thing I know I am looking at what they
    consider (I think) WebRoot or WebRoot$ of my domain. This has several sub
    dirs and the file called NewSiteDefaultPage.asp. If I double click on
    NewSiteDefaultPage.asp I am in it and can make changes. I don't know if the
    sub dirs are of interest but they bare names such as _private,
    aspnet_client, cgi-bin, cgi-local, data, Images, and anaonymous.

    That said; I don't know quite how to use your instructions, starting with
    item 1. I don't know how to create a new web site on IIS for my local
    machine. When I go to IIS I have a sub folder called web sites and under
    that an item called default web site. But I see no option for creating a
    new web site.

    Could you or someone give me further instructions?

    Woody Splawn, May 6, 2004
  6. Woody Splawn

    WJ Guest

    > My configuration is a little different. I can not afford a web server of

    my
    > own so I am using a company called Verio. I understand they are one of

    the
    > biggest. They do web hosting with .Net Framework 1.1, and I understand I
    > can even make use of an Access or SQL Server 2000 database they provide.
    > The whole purpose of my little site is to do testing and allow myself to
    > find out what I can and can not do.
    >
    > I transferred my domain name to their site. When I type in my domain name
    > in a web browser I get a default message of Welcome to XXX.com. This is
    > kept in a file on their server called NewSiteDefaultPage.asp. I have been
    > able to access this file from within VS and have actually modified it a
    > little. I do this from within VS by selecting File, Open, File from Web.

    It
    > asks me for my name and PW and next thing I know I am looking at what they
    > consider (I think) WebRoot or WebRoot$ of my domain. This has several sub
    > dirs and the file called NewSiteDefaultPage.asp. If I double click on
    > NewSiteDefaultPage.asp I am in it and can make changes. I don't know if

    the
    > sub dirs are of interest but they bare names such as _private,
    > aspnet_client, cgi-bin, cgi-local, data, Images, and anaonymous.

    This seems that the host already has everything for you. You may call them
    and ask if you are allowed to administer your own site remotely using their
    web admin facility. Example: Front Page server admin or Windows Share Point
    services tools that will let you add/author/administer your own site. They
    will give you instructions how to use it. You can use the web-admin pages to
    name your site, define accesses, define locations on your folders,
    add/remove users. Define your own home page instead of their default message
    page as you said.

    > That said; I don't know quite how to use your instructions, starting with
    > item 1. I don't know how to create a new web site on IIS for my local
    > machine. When I go to IIS I have a sub folder called web sites and under
    > that an item called default web site. But I see no option for creating a
    > new web site.
    >
    > Could you or someone give me further instructions?

    If you are using MS/VS.Net IDE, then make sure your local IIS/Web service
    (WWW) is running on the background. Let VS.Net 2003 creates your own site on
    your own PC (say XP pro.). The default location of all VS.Net Web projects
    are normally placed under c:\Inetpub\wwwroot folder by VS.Net IDE 2003. Each
    asp.net web project you create is a web site itself. Once you have finished
    building a sample site on your PC, say "My1stSite", to test it, please do
    the followings: Fire up MS/IE browser, type http://localhost/My1stSite into
    the address field and press Enter key. If everything is built properly, your
    default.aspx page should appear.

    John
    WJ, May 7, 2004