How to check if a server is alive?

Richard Heathfield

Guillaume Charhon said:
Hi,

I need do to a program that check if a pop server is alive.
How can I do ?

Your best bet is to ask in either comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or
comp.unix.programmer, depending on your platform (or, if it isn't
either of those, a group that is devoted to programming on your
platform).
I am a beginner in network programming.

<off-topic>
Just a quick tip: if you're on either Windows or Linux, I can thoroughly
recommend "Unix Network Programming", Vol 1, by W Richard Stevens. The
differences between the two platforms are sufficiently slight that it's
easy to compensate for Windows differences.
</off-topic>

Richard Heathfield

Guillaume Charhon said:
I am a linux programmer. I can go on unix ? (I have just tried to
search for linux programmer newsgroup but I didn't find any good one).

Your best bets for Linux are comp.unix.programmer and (I think)
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

Guillaume Charhon

Hi,

I need do to a program that check if a pop server is alive.
How can I do ?
I am a beginner in network programming.

Thank you for your help.

Guillaume Charhon

I am a linux programmer. I can go on unix ? (I have just tried to search
for linux programmer newsgroup but I didn't find any good one).

Thanks.

CBFalconer

Guillaume said:
I am a linux programmer. I can go on unix ? (I have just tried to
search for linux programmer newsgroup but I didn't find any good
one).

Your top-posting has lost the entire thread.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

Kevin Handy

Guillaume said:
Hi,

I need do to a program that check if a pop server is alive.
How can I do ?
I am a beginner in network programming.

Did it get hit by lightning? Usually necessary for Frankenstein.
Is it trying to eat your brain? Could be possessed by a zombie.
Does it refuse to open the pod bay door? HAL9000.

Realistically, it depends on a lot of things.
None of which really have anything to do with the
C language. You'd be better off asking the authors,
or newsgroups, dedicated to the pop server, the OS
it runs on, or the OS you are running.