    How to pass messages through events from a user control to its containing
    page, or to another user control? Is there any recommended way? Thanks very
    much.

    Simon, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Simon

    Munna Guest

    Hi,

    As for asp.net

    Declare a event in the user control and then fire the event on your
    purpose...
    subscribe the event of the user control..... in page... you can also
    declare
    your custom delegate for this purpose...

    Okay now... the above solution will serve your purpose yet you can do
    lot of engineering in this issue...
    you can also implement observer pattern...

    its your choice

    Best of luck

    Munna
    www.munna.shatkotha.com
    www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
    www.shatkotha.com

    Munna, Jun 24, 2008

  3. Simon

    nick chan Guest

    from user control, u can access the page by just calling "Page"
    property
    to access other controls, try Page.FindControls("")

    If Page doesn't work, try Parent

    nick chan, Jun 24, 2008
  4. Hi Simon,

    From your description, what you want to do is let the usercontrol and its
    container page or other user control on the same page communicate or share
    some data with each other , correct?

    As for the communication, would you provide some further details about what
    process will a typical communication between them followup? Generally,
    since the UserControl has the "Page" property, I think you can try define
    some custom properties on the Page class and then let the usercontrol get
    reference to its container page, and set those custom properties to forward
    certain data(from user control to page).

    If you want to share data between different usercontrol instance, I think
    it is necessary to perform FindControl from page. For example, one
    usercontrol first get reference to its container page, and then search for
    another usercontrol on the page(and access properties on that usercontrol).
    However, FindControl require you to know the control hierarchy/structure
    on the page.

    Anyway, please feel free to let me know if you have further particular
    requirements or concerns here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 24, 2008
  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Thanks very much. I think I could begin from findcontrol method and then
    exchange some data among user controls.

    Simon, Jun 24, 2008
  6. Thanks for your quick reply Simon,

    Also, for "FindControl" method, I'd like to inform you to take care of the
    control/structure. For example, the FindControl method can only search
    controls in the same NamingContainer context. In other words, if two user
    controls are put inside the same naming container, you can use the
    following code to find control :

    UserControl1.NamingContainer.FindControl("Usercontrol2")

    here is a web article mentioned functionality of FindControl method:

    http://aspadvice.com/blogs/joteke/archive/2006/08/12/20546.aspx

    If you encounter any further problem, welcome to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    >Subject: Re: How to communicate between users controls in web form?
    >Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:36:27 +0800

    mework.aspnet:70268

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 24, 2008
  7. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Got it. Thanks, Steven for your useful help. :)

    Simon, Jun 25, 2008