    drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
    command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

    Zeke
    zeke, Jun 15, 2004

  2. zeke

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Jun 15, 2004

  3. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:54:10 -0700, zeke wrote:

    > Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
    > connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
    > drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
    > command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

    There are various compression modules on CPAN. You could use one of them.
    http://search.cpan.org/

    Or, you could use the 'system' function (perldoc -f system) to execute the
    `compress` command on the *NIX box.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    So, what's with this guy Gideon, anyway? And why can't he ever
    remember his Bible?
    James Willmore, Jun 15, 2004
  4. zeke

    Tintin Guest

    "zeke" <> wrote in message
    > Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
    > connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
    > drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
    > command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

    Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.
    Tintin, Jun 16, 2004
  5. zeke

    Fatted Guest

    Tintin wrote:
    > "zeke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
    >>connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
    >>drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
    >>command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

    > Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.

    I think the clue was in the line `Must use unix command "compress"`.
    Fatted, Jun 16, 2004
  6. zeke

    Tintin Guest

    "Fatted" <> wrote in message
    > Tintin wrote:
    > > "zeke" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
    > >>connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
    > >>drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
    > >>command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

    > > Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.
    > >

    > I think the clue was in the line `Must use unix command "compress"`.

    Quite often "must" means "this is the only way I know how".
    Tintin, Jun 16, 2004