How to copy an MS Excel graphic from the system clipboard to an image control and obtain its source

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TC, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Hello,

    Here is what I'm trying to do:

    -- Make sure both MS Excel and MS Word are running
    -- Create an Excel chart
    -- Save the Excel file
    -- Copy the Excel chart onto the clipboard using Ctrl + C
    -- Go to Word and look under Edit > Paste Special
    -- Note there is a source reference and an option to paste the chart as a
    metafile, etc.
    -- I would like to take this same information and make it available in a C#
    or VB.Net app

    For example, create a simple Windows application with a userform, an image
    control, a label and a single command button.

    Let's say that after the Excel chart is on the clipboard, one clicks the
    Windows application command button and Voila!, the imate control now
    contains a copy of the Excel chart and the label contains the reference
    information.

    I can make this work utilizing older technologies (i.e. WIN API to access
    the clipboard, etc.).

    Currently, when I try to set the image control in C#, I get a "cannot
    implicitly convert ..." blah blah error. Don't even know where to begin to
    obtain the source reference.

    Either I do not understand the currently available clipboard functionality
    under .Net or this is still only possible via the WIN API.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Best Regards,

    Todd

    TC, Jul 25, 2004