    Is possible to crypt Perl script that user can start it, but can’t read, if
    script is copied to his computer?

    Thanks

    Guest, Aug 12, 2006

    Henry Law Guest

    wrote:
    > Is possible to crypt Perl script that user can start it, but can’t read, if
    > script is copied to his computer?

    I think you mean to ask whether a Perl program can be written such that
    it can be run but its source not read by whoever runs it. If that's the
    case then the FAQ will answer you. So too will Google, because the
    question is asked in this group often enough for it to be easily available.

    The FAQ's on the web, or type perldoc -q hide on a command line.

    If that's not your question - if you really do want to encrypt your Perl
    program - then I'm sorry.
    --

    Henry Law <>< Manchester, England

    Henry Law, Aug 12, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > Is possible to crypt Perl script that user can start it, but can't read, if
    > script is copied to his computer?

    What you are talking about is something called "trusted computing". It
    has little to do with specific languages and is largely an OS and
    hardware issue. Note that under the trusted computer model "his
    computer" becomes "a computer he is allowed to use" because no
    individuals will truely be able to own computers any more.

    With a TC OS and hardware you (the program author) could create a file
    that instructs the computer that the file is only to be processed by a
    special signed (and crippled) version of the the perl interpreter. You
    could _trust_ that the computer would place your wishes ahead of those
    of the user. Likewise the user would have to take it on _trust_ that
    you were not abusing this privileged position. (These are 2/3 of the
    places where the "trust" in "trusted computing" comes in).

    Note that this is a moral, political, ecomonic, ethical, legal,
    technical bag of worms. Note also that actually implementing what I've
    said above may infringe the licences of some open source components
    that you may have used.

    If you are willing to change "can't read" to "can't casually read"
    then you don't need true crypto and obfuscation (as per FAQ answer)
    will suffice.

    Brian McCauley, Aug 12, 2006
  4. Brian McCauley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Is possible to crypt Perl script that user can start it, but can't read, if
    > > script is copied to his computer?

    > What you are talking about is something called "trusted computing".

    I should correct myself here as I appear to have given a false
    inpression.

    There are two aspects to "trusted computing". On aspect is that a
    computer will only execute programs that are signed by a trusted party.
    The other is the ability for the programmer to trust that the computer
    will place his wishes above those of the user.

    It is quite possible to have the first part (which is very helpful to
    the end user) without the second. So long as the ultimate choice as to
    whom to trust (choice of root authority) remains with the owner of the
    computer there's no downside to the first part.

    What the OP was asking about was the second part. Which is also the
    part of TC which has the potential to be abused by large coporations
    and corrupt(able) politicians.

    I'll shut up now as this isn't really the place for this.

    Brian McCauley, Aug 12, 2006