how to: debug asp embedded in HTML

oaksong

I'm using the data controls, or trying to.

I've got a grid-view and a details-view. They work.

I'm trying to setup and Insert via the Details view. It doesn't work.
The error message makes it clear that the variables are doing what I'd
like them to do.

Essentially, I don't understand how to get the data out of the controls
that are auto-generated when you click the Insert button. I've been
trying to figure out the parameters business, but it's not going well.
I've got the WROX professional ASPX 2.0, but it's nopt helping much.

When I'm looking at the Insert panel (wizard) that pops up when I click
the data control, it gives me a number of choices for my source. WROX
uses code instead of the controls and they just give it to you without
explaining what it represents.

The examples shows:
<asp:parameter Type="String" Name="ContactName" />

My question, what does "ContactName" represent. Is that the name of the
auto-generated control?

I tried using String and Field Names, assuming the controls are named
after the fields, but I still got the error.

It would be nice if there was a way to view the sql expression that is
being generated.

TIA
Chris

oaksong

I should have added...

I'm using VS 2005 to develop a Web App, with code behind, but I'm not
writing code, since the controls, based on what I've read, are supposed
to handle all that automagically.

I'm running on a developer level XP SP2 Pro machine.