How to deploy Java Applications To People?

res7cxbi

How do you deploy Java Applications to other people? I don't think
average people is gonna open up the command line and type in "java"
everytime they want to run it.

Ranganath Kini

There are two main ways:

1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
run thru the .BAT file.

2. Using a native launcher stub: Here a native executable program is
created in C++ whose sole purpose is to invoke the java application and
pass the command line parameters if any. There are many commercial
launcher solutions for example:

exe4j - gives u additional features such as splash screens, custom
process name (instead of java.exe), etc. See here for more info:
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/exe4j/overview.html

Thomas Hawtin

Ranganath said:
1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
run thru the .BAT file.

For simple situations, just supplying a jar is easier. One file.
Double-click and you're off (so long as they have Java installed, and
nothing has stolen the file association).

Tom Hawtin