    average people is gonna open up the command line and type in "java"
    everytime they want to run it.
    , Feb 10, 2006

  2. There are two main ways:

    1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
    way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
    run thru the .BAT file.

    2. Using a native launcher stub: Here a native executable program is
    created in C++ whose sole purpose is to invoke the java application and
    pass the command line parameters if any. There are many commercial
    launcher solutions for example:

    exe4j - gives u additional features such as splash screens, custom
    process name (instead of java.exe), etc. See here for more info:
    http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/exe4j/overview.html
    Ranganath Kini, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Ranganath Kini wrote:

    > 1. Using a MS-DOS .BAT file or shell script: This provides a simpler
    > way to launch the java application. As we can have the "java" command
    > run thru the .BAT file.

    For simple situations, just supplying a jar is easier. One file.
    Double-click and you're off (so long as they have Java installed, and
    nothing has stolen the file association).

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/