    average people is gonna open up the command line and type in "java"
    everytime they want to run it.
    , Feb 10, 2006

  2. Ian Mills Guest

    Re: How to deploy Java Applications To People W/O Having To Use TheCommand Line?

    wrote:
    > How do you deploy Java Applications to other people? I don't think
    > average people is gonna open up the command line and type in "java"
    > everytime they want to run it.

    The simplest way is to provide a batch file or a shell script to run the
    application.
    Ian Mills, Feb 11, 2006

    Web Start is an excellent method of deployment. It provides a way to
    auto update, inclusion of a start menu icon (and equivalent on
    OSX/Linux) and even provides an "Add/Remove Program" entry on windows.
    , Feb 12, 2006

    Here is an example... This launches a full blow Java application via
    WebStart. The program is regenerated once every two minutes. It is
    simply a JFrame containing a JButton who's label is the current date
    and time the application was generated. The link below shows the source
    of the program and a script used to generate it once every two minutes.
    (This example will be left up for a week or so, I'll stop the script
    from running that regenerates it at that point, but leave the content
    up)

    http://www.linux4real.com/java/20060211/webstart/

    For a pretty good tutorial, on how to use webstart.. go to the link
    below. It also talks a bit about signing a jar to enable full
    permissions. The above I gave above doesn't allow the application
    delivered to have full access, it is meant to demonstrate webstart in
    general. Signing jars is not a complicated process and will allow a
    program to be deployed and auto-installed via the web *and* have as
    much access as required (if the user permits it).

    http://www.cokeandcode.com/info/webstart-howto.html
    , Feb 12, 2006

    btw.. The point of regenerating once every two minutes is to
    demonstrate the auto-update aspect. Once you click on the link once,
    and launch the do nothing app, click again quickly, you'll note it
    loads from local disk. Wait a couple minutes, click on the link again,
    it will be reloaded from the webstie as it as been updated. But it
    won't download unelss the webserver version has updates.
    , Feb 12, 2006
  6. Roedy Green Guest

    On 11 Feb 2006 21:18:50 -0800, ""
    said :

    >I'll stop the script
    >from running that regenerates it at that point, but leave the content
    >up)

    I gather the process blows up during the jar build. You might want to
    build the jar then in a fast move delete and rename. That can always
    fail if the jar is being served.

    I hope to find tools that deal with this problem with FTP, by
    uploading, then swapping in the newly uploaded files to replace the
    old ones only once the whole batch is up, and only when the old files
    are not busy.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Roedy Green Guest

    On 11 Feb 2006 21:23:32 -0800, ""
    said :

    > But it
    >won't download unelss the webserver version has updates.

    does the jnlp file have to change to trigger the update or just the
    jar?
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Feb 12, 2006

    just the jar. Infact, you'll note that my example only updates the jar,
    not the jnlp file (see recompile.sh content in the index.html page)
    , Feb 12, 2006

    I'm doing exactly what you state. I mentiont that i'll stop it runnign
    simply because i don't want to leave a script compiling a source file
    once every two minutes forever.
    , Feb 12, 2006