    implemented. The web application is using Jsp, but i am not sure what
    the database it is using, probably oracle.

    Anyone has some ideas?
    Schubert, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Schubert

    derek Guest

    I dont understand your question.

    First you say this: "These server nodes
    can be logged in using a root/public account. Then users can run a series of management commands under CLI mode."

    Then you say this: "My questions is, why I don't need to log in these server nodes to run the commands?"

    These two statements don't match. Do you need to logon or not?
    Are you asking how to logon? Are you asking why they need to logon? Are you asking why they dont need to logon? Are you asking something completely different?
    derek, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Schubert

    Schubert Guest

    On Apr 27, 9:26 am, derek wrote:
    > I dont understand your question.
    >
    > First you say this: "These server nodes
    > can be logged in using a root/public account. Then users can run a series of management commands under CLI mode."
    >
    > Then you say this: "My questions is, why I don't need to log in these server nodes to run the commands?"
    >
    > These two statements don't match. Do you need to logon or not?
    > Are you asking how to logon? Are you asking why they need to logon? Are you asking why they dont need to logon? Are you asking something completely different?

    Hi, I am asking something completely different. There are two cases.
    One is to login to these servers directly. The other is just to login
    to the web application and do not need to login these server again.
    In the second case, after I have logged in to the web application, why
    I don't need to log in these servers one by one to execute the
    commands, which were originally need to be logged in and run?

    Are there any mapping done there?

    Thanks,Schubert
    Schubert, Apr 27, 2007
  4. Schubert wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 9:26 am, derek wrote:
    >> I dont understand your question.
    >>
    >> First you say this: "These server nodes
    >> can be logged in using a root/public account. Then users can run a series of management commands under CLI mode."
    >>
    >> Then you say this: "My questions is, why I don't need to log in these server nodes to run the commands?"
    >>
    >> These two statements don't match. Do you need to logon or not?
    >> Are you asking how to logon? Are you asking why they need to logon? Are you asking why they dont need to logon? Are you asking something completely different?

    > Hi, I am asking something completely different. There are two cases.
    > One is to login to these servers directly. The other is just to login
    > to the web application and do not need to login these server again.
    > In the second case, after I have logged in to the web application, why
    > I don't need to log in these servers one by one to execute the
    > commands, which were originally need to be logged in and run?
    >
    > Are there any mapping done there?

    If your web servers are running as root (or the user its running under
    has root privileges) then the applications may well "just run" and are
    accessible to the world: probably that's not a good idea.

    You should at least put a password on the page that runs them. For
    Apache you'd put it in a separate directory along with a file called
    ..htaccess that contains something like:

    ==========start of .htaccess content=========
    AuthName "Sensitive details"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/sensitive.pw

    require valid-user

    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from yourlan.domain
    ==========end of .htaccess content===========

    where the file referenced by AuthUserFile is someplace that's not
    accessible to the web server and contains a valid username and encrypted
    password. Use htpasswd to create this file.

    If you consider this to be too lightweight for decent security you
    should consider running the webserver in a chroot jail or remove this
    function from your web server.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK