David Way

I have an xml file looks like this:

<root>
<L1>a</L1>
<L2>b
<L3>c</L3>
</L2>
</root>

In my xslt file, I do a template match to get to <L3>

<xsl:template match="L2/L3">
need to use the value of L1.
</xsl:template>

Assuming that I get to the node of L3. Now, my question is, how do I
get the value of L1 inside of the that match template? Is there a
global variable or something in xslt so I can store the L1's value in
that global variable and use it in the match template?

Can anyone tell me how I can do this in xslt? Please give me some
details because I am still learning this stuff :)

Thanks in advance.

Dimitre Novatchev

Assuming that I get to the node of L3. Now, my question is, how do I
get the value of L1 inside of the that match template? Is there a
global variable or something in xslt so I can store the L1's value in
that global variable and use it in the match template?

Can anyone tell me how I can do this in xslt?

No need for global variables here. Also, the knoledge required (as is often
the case) is pure XPath.

Use:

../preceding-sibling::L1[1]

=====