how to do this in HTML??

david

Mostly. The main differences would be a) The pages would be of variable
height, depending on the amount of text; b) No fading transitions
between sections; c) No moving text intro (which would be a good
thing). The rest should be fairly straightforward.

How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.
Thanks

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:43:58 -0000, Hywel Jenkins is reported
to have stated:
Yes. I'm wondering *why* they used Flash. This is what I see:
http://demo.hyweljenkins.co.uk/aureliuspartners.jpg

I had to use IE to see the site.

Ditto. And when I did look at it in IE, it doesn't look particularly
complicated, either. As Jim said, it wouldn't be hard to do in HTML (with
some slight differences).

Matthew Superstar Swass

This is an example of pointless Flash use. They should have just used HTML. The
use of Flash here provides no upside at all.

The text area fading from page to page can be replicated using JS too.

Jim Royal

david said:
How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.

The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
of visual design over usability.

As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
text as once so I can scan it quickly.

Nick Howes

How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.

You *could* use a div set to scroll, but as has been said, it's only
scrolling here because the flash window has a limited size. In HTML wouldn't
it make much more sense to let the user use the scrollbar that's already
there to the side of the browser window? I think it would. Aside from that
and the fading text, it's entirely possible to make an extremely similar
page done in HTML and CSS (promise me you won't use tables :) ).

David Mackenzie

The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
of visual design over usability.

As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
text as once so I can scan it quickly.

The only way to scroll the text area is to click on the two tiny up
and down buttons (which could be difficult to see). I can't use my
scroll wheel; there is no scroll thumb to allow faster/slower
scrolling; I can't select any of the text; I can't scroll using the
keys; there is no indication of the amount of text or your current
position in it.

The basic scrollbar has all the above functionality - and more - built
in. Using HTML you will automatically take full advantage of it.

In the Flash presentation there are only around two paragraphs visible
at any time. My browser canvas is large enough to accommodate much
more, so why isn't it used?

Nicolai P. Zwar

Jim said:
The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
of visual design over usability.

As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
text as once so I can scan it quickly.

It should be mentioned though that you _could_ get the scrolling text
box effect even with HTML and CSS, if you put the text in a container
with fixed size and use the CSS2 property "overflow". Works only in
newer browsers, though.

Woolly Mittens

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
Jim Royal wrote:
It should be mentioned though that you _could_ get the scrolling text
box effect even with HTML and CSS, if you put the text in a container
with fixed size and use the CSS2 property "overflow". Works only in
newer browsers, though.

Why not marquee?

Owen Jacobson

Woolly said:
Why not marquee?

Two reasons.

One: he means scrolling as in "capable of being scrolled" (independant
of the browser canvas itself), which can be useful, not "merrily
scrolling itself", which is bloody irritating.

Two: MARQUEE was never in HTML.