how to do this in HTML??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by david, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. david

    david Guest

    david, Oct 30, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. david

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <>, david
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.aureliuspartners.com/


    Mostly. The main differences would be a) The pages would be of variable
    height, depending on the amount of text; b) No fading transitions
    between sections; c) No moving text intro (which would be a good
    thing). The rest should be fairly straightforward.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"
    http://JimRoyal.com
     
    Jim Royal, Oct 30, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. david

    david Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:56:44 -0500, Jim Royal <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, david
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.aureliuspartners.com/

    >
    >Mostly. The main differences would be a) The pages would be of variable
    >height, depending on the amount of text; b) No fading transitions
    >between sections; c) No moving text intro (which would be a good
    >thing). The rest should be fairly straightforward.


    How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.
    Thanks
     
    david, Oct 30, 2003
    #3
  4. Hywel Jenkins, Oct 30, 2003
    #4
  5. david

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:43:58 -0000, Hywel Jenkins is reported
    to have stated:
    >
    > Yes. I'm wondering *why* they used Flash. This is what I see:
    > http://demo.hyweljenkins.co.uk/aureliuspartners.jpg
    >
    > I had to use IE to see the site.


    Ditto. And when I did look at it in IE, it doesn't look particularly
    complicated, either. As Jim said, it wouldn't be hard to do in HTML (with
    some slight differences).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
     
    Mark Parnell, Oct 30, 2003
    #5
  6. This is an example of pointless Flash use. They should have just used HTML. The
    use of Flash here provides no upside at all.

    The text area fading from page to page can be replicated using JS too.


    ---------------------------------------------
    *S
     
    Matthew Superstar Swass, Oct 31, 2003
    #6
  7. david

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <>, david
    <> wrote:

    > How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.


    The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
    of visual design over usability.

    As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
    height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
    would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
    is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
    text as once so I can scan it quickly.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"
    http://JimRoyal.com
     
    Jim Royal, Oct 31, 2003
    #7
  8. david

    Nick Howes Guest

    > How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.
    > Thanks


    You *could* use a div set to scroll, but as has been said, it's only
    scrolling here because the flash window has a limited size. In HTML wouldn't
    it make much more sense to let the user use the scrollbar that's already
    there to the side of the browser window? I think it would. Aside from that
    and the fading text, it's entirely possible to make an extremely similar
    page done in HTML and CSS (promise me you won't use tables :) ).
     
    Nick Howes, Oct 31, 2003
    #8
  9. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:28:21 -0500, Jim Royal <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, david
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.

    >
    >The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
    >of visual design over usability.
    >
    >As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
    >height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
    >would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
    >is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
    >text as once so I can scan it quickly.


    The only way to scroll the text area is to click on the two tiny up
    and down buttons (which could be difficult to see). I can't use my
    scroll wheel; there is no scroll thumb to allow faster/slower
    scrolling; I can't select any of the text; I can't scroll using the
    keys; there is no indication of the amount of text or your current
    position in it.

    The basic scrollbar has all the above functionality - and more - built
    in. Using HTML you will automatically take full advantage of it.

    In the Flash presentation there are only around two paragraphs visible
    at any time. My browser canvas is large enough to accommodate much
    more, so why isn't it used?

    --
    David ( @priz.co.uk )
    The Internet Prisoner Database: http://www.priz.co.uk/ipdb/
    The Tarbrax Chronicle: http://www.tarbraxchronicle.com/
     
    David Mackenzie, Oct 31, 2003
    #9
  10. Jim Royal wrote:

    > In article <>, david
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>How about the scrolling text box in the middle? How is that done.

    >
    >
    > The use of scrolling text boxes in Flash presentations is the triumph
    > of visual design over usability.
    >
    > As I said in my earlier post, the HTML pages would be of variable
    > height to accomodate the varying amounts of text. In other words, there
    > would be no scrolling text box in the middle. That scrolling text box
    > is the worst aspect of the site. As a reader, I want to see all the
    > text as once so I can scan it quickly.



    It should be mentioned though that you _could_ get the scrolling text
    box effect even with HTML and CSS, if you put the text in a container
    with fixed size and use the CSS2 property "overflow". Works only in
    newer browsers, though.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com
     
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Nov 2, 2003
    #10
  11. "Nicolai P. Zwar" <> wrote in message
    news:bo3ig0$fja$...
    > Jim Royal wrote:
    > It should be mentioned though that you _could_ get the scrolling text
    > box effect even with HTML and CSS, if you put the text in a container
    > with fixed size and use the CSS2 property "overflow". Works only in
    > newer browsers, though.
    >


    Why not marquee?
     
    Woolly Mittens, Nov 2, 2003
    #11
  12. Woolly Mittens wrote:

    >
    > "Nicolai P. Zwar" <> wrote in message
    > news:bo3ig0$fja$...
    > > It should be mentioned though that you could get the scrolling text
    > > box effect even with HTML and CSS ...

    >
    > Why not marquee?


    Two reasons.

    One: he means scrolling as in "capable of being scrolled" (independant
    of the browser canvas itself), which can be useful, not "merrily
    scrolling itself", which is bloody irritating.

    Two: MARQUEE was never in HTML.
     
    Owen Jacobson, Nov 3, 2003
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark Kamoski
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    7,179
  2. Mitchua
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    7,154
    Ice Demon
    Jul 15, 2003
  3. Laura
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    567
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Jun 5, 2004
  4. Matthew Louden
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    7,104
    Scott M.
    Oct 11, 2003
  5. Adam Akhtar
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    592
    Florian Gilcher
    Aug 16, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page