How to find Python path in Visual C++ install wizard

Philippe C. Martin

Hi,

I realize this is not really a Python question but ...

I am trying to setup an .msi for my software (Python code (.pyc) + drivers)
to make installation easier for Windows users.

I am using the installer that comes with V. C++ 7.1.

I would like to find the way to make sure Python is installed and then copy
automatically my files into its hierarchy.

PS: for many reasons, I do not wish to use setup.py.

Best regards,

Philippe

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Philippe said:
I am trying to setup an .msi for my software (Python code (.pyc) + drivers)
to make installation easier for Windows users.

I am using the installer that comes with V. C++ 7.1.

I would like to find the way to make sure Python is installed and then copy
automatically my files into its hierarchy.

You should look at (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,HKEY_CURRENT_USER)/Software/Python.

Regards,
Martin

laurent

Hello,
there's a pretty solution. if the user hasn't got python or don't want
to install python. You can make your application executable without a
complete installation of python.

for this, look at project like py2exe or freeze. These tools make an
executable of your pyc files and produce some files : python.zip (for
python higher 2.3) and python.dll and other dll for application that
needs some dynamic python's extension.

regards,
Laurent

Philippe C. Martin

Thanks you all.

As my software has python "executables" and libraries + c++ libs, the
HKEY_LOCAL.... should be myt way out.

Best regards,

Philippe