How to get content from one frame into another frame

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fokke Nauta, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. Fokke Nauta

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a simple frame page, with a small frame left and a large frame right.
    The code is underneath this post.
    In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local web server, with
    many folders with locally stored web sites. In the right frame I see a Dutch
    news site.
    What I want, is that when I click on a website in the left pane, that its
    content is shown in the right pane, replacing the news site. Otherwise, as
    it is now, the contents of the websites in the left pane is showd in the
    left pane as well, which is useless.

    Anyone has an idea of how to achieve this?

    Many thanks in advance.

    With best regards,
    Fokke Nauta

    ------------------

    <head>
    <title>No title</title>
    </head>
    <frameset rows="1*" cols="150p, 90%">
    <frame name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    src="http://127.0.0.1" target="right">
    <frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    src="http://www.nu.nl">
    <noframes>
    </frameset>

    Fokke Nauta, Apr 28, 2009

  2. On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:35:48 +0200, "Fokke Nauta"

    You said:
    > In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local
    > web server, with many folders with locally stored web sites.

    You see the content of the root of a local webserver, because you
    specify: src="http://127.0.0.1" ....and because there is no
    http://127.0.0.1/index.html page

    Normally you need to construct an http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm
    In this menu you should have written like(in short):(notice the target
    value)

    and your page should be:
    ><head>
    ><title>No title</title>
    ></head>
    ><frameset rows="1*" cols="150p, 90%">
    ><frame name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >src=" http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm">
    ><frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >src="http://www.nu.nl">
    ><noframes>
    ></frameset>

    Clicking on one of the link nu, new or last in the left frame will
    change accordingly the content of the right frame.

    Raymond Schmit, Apr 28, 2009

  3. Fokke Nauta

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    "Raymond Schmit" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:35:48 +0200, "Fokke Nauta"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have a simple frame page, with a small frame left and a large frame
    >>right.
    >>The code is underneath this post.
    >>In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local web server,
    >>with
    >>many folders with locally stored web sites. In the right frame I see a
    >>Dutch
    >>news site.
    >>What I want, is that when I click on a website in the left pane, that its
    >>content is shown in the right pane, replacing the news site. Otherwise, as
    >>it is now, the contents of the websites in the left pane is showd in the
    >>left pane as well, which is useless.
    >>
    >>Anyone has an idea of how to achieve this?
    >>
    >>Many thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>With best regards,
    >>Fokke Nauta
    >>
    >>------------------

    >><head>
    >><title>No title</title>
    >></head>
    >><frameset rows="1*" cols="150p, 90%">
    >><frame name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >>src="http://127.0.0.1" target="right">
    >><frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >>src="http://www.nu.nl">
    >><noframes>
    >></frameset>
    >>

    > You said:
    >> In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local
    >> web server, with many folders with locally stored web sites.

    > You see the content of the root of a local webserver, because you
    > specify: src="http://127.0.0.1" ....and because there is no
    > http://127.0.0.1/index.html page

    Hallo Raymond,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, that's correct. And that is exactly what I wanted. I see a lot of
    subfolders, each containing a complete web site (with an index.htm file) So,
    when clicking on a subfolder the website shows up.
    I did not want a menu file as the subfolders come and go regularly. I can't
    be bothered to edit the menu.htm to keep up with the changes. Without a
    menu.htm it's much easier.
    I understand that there is no trick to force the content of the left pane
    into the right pane?

    Fokke Nauta, Apr 29, 2009
  4. Fokke Nauta

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    "Fokke Nauta" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > I understand that there is no trick to force the content of the left pane
    > into the right pane?
    >
    >> Normally you need to construct an http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm
    >> In this menu you should have written like(in short):(notice the target
    >> value)
    >>
    >> and your page should be:
    >>><head>
    >>><title>No title</title>
    >>></head>
    >>><frameset rows="1*" cols="150p, 90%">
    >>><frame name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >>>src=" http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm">
    >>><frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
    >>>src="http://www.nu.nl">
    >>><noframes>
    >>></frameset>

    >> Clicking on one of the link nu, new or last in the left frame will
    >> change accordingly the content of the right frame.

    I already solved the problem, albeit in a different way.
    I unexpectedly found out that I can start Firefox with 2 tabs. One with the
    news (www.nu.nl) and the other with the root directory (127.0.0.1).
    So, no html or Java tricks. Quite simple.

    Thanks for your help.
    With regards,

    Fokke Nauta

    Fokke Nauta, Apr 29, 2009