How to get content from one frame into another frame

Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

I have a simple frame page, with a small frame left and a large frame right.
The code is underneath this post.
In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local web server, with
many folders with locally stored web sites. In the right frame I see a Dutch
news site.
What I want, is that when I click on a website in the left pane, that its
content is shown in the right pane, replacing the news site. Otherwise, as
it is now, the contents of the websites in the left pane is showd in the
left pane as well, which is useless.

Anyone has an idea of how to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Fokke Nauta

------------------

<head>
<title>No title</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="1*" cols="150p, 90%">
<frame name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
src="http://127.0.0.1" target="right">
<frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
src="http://www.nu.nl">
<noframes>
</frameset>

Raymond Schmit

You said:
In the left frame I see the content of the root of a local
web server, with many folders with locally stored web sites.

You see the content of the root of a local webserver, because you
specify: src="http://127.0.0.1" ....and because there is no
http://127.0.0.1/index.html page

Normally you need to construct an http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm
In this menu you should have written like(in short):(notice the target
value)

and your page should be:
src=" http://127.0.0.1/menu.htm">
<frame name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="10" marginheight="14"
src="http://www.nu.nl">
<noframes>
</frameset>

Clicking on one of the link nu, new or last in the left frame will
change accordingly the content of the right frame.

Fokke Nauta

Raymond Schmit said:
You said:

You see the content of the root of a local webserver, because you
specify: src="http://127.0.0.1" ....and because there is no
http://127.0.0.1/index.html page

Hallo Raymond,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that's correct. And that is exactly what I wanted. I see a lot of
subfolders, each containing a complete web site (with an index.htm file) So,
when clicking on a subfolder the website shows up.
I did not want a menu file as the subfolders come and go regularly. I can't
be bothered to edit the menu.htm to keep up with the changes. Without a
menu.htm it's much easier.
I understand that there is no trick to force the content of the left pane
into the right pane?

Fokke Nauta

Fokke Nauta said:
Hallo Raymond,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that's correct. And that is exactly what I wanted. I see a lot of
subfolders, each containing a complete web site (with an index.htm file)
So, when clicking on a subfolder the website shows up.
I did not want a menu file as the subfolders come and go regularly. I
can't be bothered to edit the menu.htm to keep up with the changes.
Without a menu.htm it's much easier.
I understand that there is no trick to force the content of the left pane
into the right pane?

I already solved the problem, albeit in a different way.
I unexpectedly found out that I can start Firefox with 2 tabs. One with the
news (www.nu.nl) and the other with the root directory (127.0.0.1).
So, no html or Java tricks. Quite simple.

Thanks for your help.
With regards,

Fokke Nauta