    How do I do this? Sorry if this is a rudimentary question. I couldn't find
    the answer anywhere.

    Thanks.
    Flatch U. Lance, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Flatch U. Lance

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Flatch U. Lance" <> wrote:

    >If I sent someone an email with this link
    >http://www.mysite/files/downloadthis.zip
    >
    >I want the Open, Save box to pop up when they click on the link.
    >
    >How do I do this?

    You don't. That is entirely up to the configuration of their browser
    and/or mail client. They may have already configured their system to
    save all zip files downloaded off the web to a certain location, or
    some other action of their choice.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Mar 4, 2006

  3. "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "Flatch U. Lance" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If I sent someone an email with this link
    >>http://www.mysite/files/downloadthis.zip
    >>
    >>I want the Open, Save box to pop up when they click on the link.
    >>
    >>How do I do this?

    > You don't. That is entirely up to the configuration of their browser
    > and/or mail client. They may have already configured their system to
    > save all zip files downloaded off the web to a certain location, or
    > some other action of their choice.

    But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'. I suppose they
    could block the popup. I just want to know how to set it up. I don't think
    you're following my question.
    Flatch U. Lance, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Flatch U. Lance

    Jose Guest

    > But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

    That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
    horzontal. They control the vertical.

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 4, 2006
  5. "Jose" <> wrote in message
    >> But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

    > That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
    > horzontal. They control the vertical.
    >
    > Jose
    > --

    Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
    up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
    would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the server
    that's hosting my site. Is there not some process?
    Flatch U. Lance, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Flatch U. Lance

    Jim Higson Guest

    Flatch U. Lance wrote:

    > "Jose" <> wrote in message
    >>> But they can't save the zip file until they click 'save'.

    >> That depends on their browser and configuration. They control the
    >> horzontal. They control the vertical.
    >>
    >> Jose
    >> --

    > Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
    > up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
    > would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the
    > server that's hosting my site.

    That's it! The web wasn't designed to be difficult.
    Have you tried this and found some other behaviour?

    > Is there not some process?

    What did you have in mind?

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Flatch U. Lance

    Jose Guest

    > Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is set
    > up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a file. How
    > would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere on the server
    > that's hosting my site.

    Pretty much. Put the file on your server, and have the link point to
    it. For example, you could put the file allpix.zip in your
    images/collections folder, and then have your link be
    if the images folder is a subfolder of the folder in which the page is
    located. Use the full URL otherwise.

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 4, 2006
  8. "Jose" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok. Let me take this from another angle. Lets assume that a browser is
    >> set up to pop up a box that asks them if they want to open or save a
    >> file. How would I set the file on my end. Just slap a zip file somewhere
    >> on the server that's hosting my site.

    > Pretty much. Put the file on your server, and have the link point to it.
    > For example, you could put the file allpix.zip in your images/collections
    > folder, and then have your link be
    > if the images folder is a subfolder of the folder in which the page is
    > located. Use the full URL otherwise.

    Thanks Jose, That's exactly what I was looking for.
    Flatch U. Lance, Mar 4, 2006