How to get variable from ASP file to html file

Peter Gustafsson

Hi

I have a HTML-only file, and asp file that do a databasequery.

How can I do a query in the html file, like this: DBLookup("2").
The asp file execute the query and respond with the result. Send it back to
the htmlfile
and put it were the "DBLookup("2")" is.

I can not have any asp code in the html page.

I have a php file that works like this, but how can I do the same with asp??

You can find the phpcode here:
http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-click-counter.php

// Peter

Evertjan.

Peter Gustafsson wrote on 23 sep 2006 in
I have a HTML-only file, and asp file that do a databasequery.

How can I do a query in the html file, like this: DBLookup("2").
The asp file execute the query and respond with the result. Send it
back to the htmlfile
and put it were the "DBLookup("2")" is.

I can not have any asp code in the html page.

Why would you want to do that, Peter?

There are lot's of ways, but the rationale of not changing the html file
to an asp file escapes me.

====

You could use clientside script.

You could order IIS to read a .html as a asp exention.

You could write a serverside .html file with filesysemobject.

You could use an <iframe> in yourr html page havin an .asp src.

etc.

====

Using an asp file however makes it simple:

I have a php file that works like this, but how can I do the same with
asp??

You can find the phpcode here:
http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-click-counter.php

I do not see there what you specify, but then, I do not use php often.

Peter Gustafsson

Evertjan. said:
Peter Gustafsson wrote on 23 sep 2006 in
Why would you want to do that, Peter?

The webserver doesn't support ASP.

There are lot's of ways, but the rationale of not changing the html file
to an asp file escapes me.

You could use clientside script.
You could order IIS to read a .html as a asp exention.
You could write a serverside .html file with filesysemobject.
You could use an <iframe> in yourr html page havin an .asp src.
etc.

Using an asp file however makes it simple:

<h1>This is the value: <% = myASpVariable %></h1>

I got iframe working:
I do not see there what you specify, but then, I do not use php often.

There is a download link on that page.

Why so much problem to this i ASP?? It's really simple in PHP.
This is the htmlcode:

<script language="Javascript" src="http://localhost/display.php"> <!-- //-->
</script>
I can then anywere in the html code access the php functions:

This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('1')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>
This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('2')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>
This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('3')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>

Evertjan. said:
Peter Gustafsson wrote on 23 sep 2006 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general: [...]
I can not have any asp code in the html page.
Why would you want to do that, Peter?

The webserver doesn't support ASP.

There are lot's of ways, but the rationale of not changing the html
file to an asp file escapes me.
[...]

I got iframe working:
the rest. and iframe doesn't look very good.

Impossible, your site does not support ASP.

You cannot get a asp file executed on the same server if you first
correctly state it cannot be done.

There is a download link on that page.
Why so much problem to this i ASP?? It's really simple in PHP.
This is the htmlcode:

<script language="Javascript" src="http://localhost/display.php"> <!--
//--> </script>

You can do that in asp as in php.
There is no difference, as you can make a js code page with both.

I can then anywere in the html code access the php functions:

This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('1')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>
This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('2')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>
This file has been downloaded <script
language="Javascript">ccount_display('3')</script>&nbsp;times.<br>

These are NOT php functions, but clientside javascript functions.

Peter Gustafsson

Evertjan. said:
These are NOT php functions, but clientside javascript functions.

I know, I just just showed how the html code looked like.

This is the PHP code in display.php:

<?php
require_once "settings.php";

if($settings['system'] == 2) {$settings['newline']="\r\n";}
elseif($settings['system'] == 3) {$settings['newline']="\r";}
else {$settings['newline']="\n";}

echo "var ccount_link = new Array();\n";

$lines = file($settings['logfile']);

foreach ($lines as $thisline) {
trim($thisline);
list($id,$added,$url,$count,$linkname)=explode("%%",$thisline);
echo "ccount_link[$id]=$count;\n";
}
echo "
function ccount_display(id)
{
document.write(ccount_link[id]);
}
";
exit();
?>

// Peter

Evertjan.

Peter Gustafsson wrote on 23 sep 2006 in
I know, I just just showed how the html code looked like.

So the requested asp cod is on another server?
This is the PHP code in display.php:

<?php
require_once "settings.php"; [...]
?>

As far as I can see, the php just makes an js code that can be executed
clientside and contains an array, but my php knowledge is not that good.

Let me give you an ASP example:

========== myJS.asp on server1 ===========
<%
a = "Hello"
b = "world"
c = "!"
d = session("myName")
%>
var myArray = [<%=a%>,<%=b%>,<%=c%>,<%=d%>]

======= myExample.html on server2 without asp ===========
<head>
<script type='text/javascript' src='http:/server1.com/myJS.asp'></script>
</head>
This is the text:
"<script type='text/javascript'>
document.write(myArray(0)+' '+myArray(1)+myArray(2))
</script>"
Yours truly,
<script type='text/javascript'>
document.write(myArray(3))
</script>.

NOT tested.

Anthony Jones

Peter Gustafsson said:
Hi

I have a HTML-only file, and asp file that do a databasequery.

How can I do a query in the html file, like this: DBLookup("2").
The asp file execute the query and respond with the result. Send it back to
the htmlfile
and put it were the "DBLookup("2")" is.

I can not have any asp code in the html page.

I have a php file that works like this, but how can I do the same with asp??

You can find the phpcode here:
http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-click-counter.php

// Peter

Can your HTML include Javascript? If so then perhaps the XMLHTTP object is
what you need to make a call the to the ASP page that will do the
DBLookup("2") for you.

Peter Gustafsson

Anthony Jones said:
Can your HTML include Javascript? If so then perhaps the XMLHTTP object
is
what you need to make a call the to the ASP page that will do the
DBLookup("2") for you.

Hi!

Yes, javascript is OK to use, it's run at clientside. XMLHTTP was something
new to me.
But is it supported by all webbrowsers?

Do you have any example?

// Peter

Anthony Jones

Peter Gustafsson said:
Hi!

Yes, javascript is OK to use, it's run at clientside. XMLHTTP was something
new to me.
But is it supported by all webbrowsers?

Do you have any example?

Most modern browsers support a form of the XMLHTTPRequest object, I use this
function which works for IE6 and FF:-

function getHTTP()
{

if (window.XMLHttpRequest)
return new XMLHttpRequest()
else
return new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP.3.0")

}

To fetch something from ASP use:-

function dbLookup(value)
{

if (value == null) value = ''

var oXH = getHTTP()

oXH.Open("GET", "http://asphost.domain.com/dblookup.asp?value=" + value,
False)
oXH.Send()
if (oXH.status == 200)
return oXH.responseText
else
throw "Fetching " + value + " failed"

}

dblookup.asp

<!-- #include virtual="/YourCodeThatImplementsDBLookup.asp" -->
<%
Dim Value : Value = CLng(Request.QueryString("value"))
Response.Write DBLooup(Value)
%>

Anthony.