how to include a html navbar when using framesets

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rahul, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
    snippet within <body> tags like so:

    ###################
    <head>
    <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>

    <?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
    foo content
    ###################

    But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
    webpages has four charts on it like so:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg

    ############

    <frameset rows="50%,50%">
    <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
    <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
    </frameset>
    <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
    <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
    </frameset>
    </frameset>

    ################

    But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
    tags. Any tips?

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jun 17, 2010

  2. In alt.html, Rahul wrote:

    > I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
    > standard snippet within <body> tags like so:

    <snip>

    > But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    > figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

    Yet another frameset.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 17, 2010

  3. Rahul wrote:
    > I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
    > snippet within <body> tags like so:
    >
    > ###################
    > <head>
    > <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    > </head>

    > <?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
    > foo content
    > ###################
    >
    > But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
    > webpages has four charts on it like so:
    >
    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
    >
    > ############
    >
    > <frameset rows="50%,50%">
    > <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
    > <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
    > </frameset>
    > <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
    > </frameset>
    > </frameset>

    > ################
    >
    > But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    > figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
    > tags. Any tips?

    Try an HTML newsgroup.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, Jun 17, 2010
  4. On 17/06/10 21:47, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
    >> standard snippet within <body> tags like so:

    >> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
    >> webpages has four charts on it like so:

    >> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    >> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

    > Try an HTML newsgroup.

    What Jerry means is:

    (a) Ask in an HTML newsgroup where in your frameset you can insert
    content (i.e. the navigation bar).

    (b) Insert your variant of "<?php include('nav.php'); ?>" at the
    relevant place.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Jun 17, 2010
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Rahul <>
    writing in news:Xns9D9A9A85DF116650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.73.210:

    > I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
    > standard snippet within <body> tags like so:
    >
    > ###################
    ><head>
    > <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    ></head>

    ><?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
    > foo content
    > ###################
    >
    > But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
    > webpages has four charts on it like so:
    >
    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
    >
    > ############
    >
    ><frameset rows="50%,50%">
    > <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
    > <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
    > </frameset>
    > <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
    > <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
    > </frameset>
    ></frameset>

    > ################
    >
    > But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    > figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

    I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

    <?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>
    <?php include "waittimes.php"; ?>
    <?php include "shares.php"; ?>
    <?php include "servers.php; ?>
    <?php include "runtime.php"; ?>
    <?php "footer_inc.php"; ?>

    Then your CSS:
    #header {/* your header styles */}
    #waittimes, #shares, #servers, #runtime {width:45%; height:50%;
    overflow:scroll;}
    #waittimes, #servers {clear:left; float:left;}
    #footer {clear:left; /* other footer styles */}

    Play around with margins to suit.
    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 18, 2010
  6. Rahul

    idle Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:47:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote in
    alt.html,comp.lang.php:

    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
    >> snippet within <body> tags like so:
    >>
    >> ###################
    >> <head>
    >> <link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    >> </head>

    >> <?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
    >> foo content
    >> ###################
    >>
    >> But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
    >> webpages has four charts on it like so:
    >>
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg
    >>
    >> ############
    >>
    >> <frameset rows="50%,50%">
    >> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    >> <frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
    >> <frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
    >> </frameset>
    >> <frameset cols="50%,50%">
    >> <frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
    >> <frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
    >> </frameset>
    >> </frameset>

    >> ################
    >>
    >> But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
    >> figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
    >> tags. Any tips?
    >>

    > Try an HTML newsgroup.

    What a POS

    --
    Mama say, everybody little bit gay.

    idle, Jun 18, 2010
  7. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > Yet another frameset.

    Thanks! That works.

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jun 18, 2010
  8. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote in

    > I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

    > <?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>

    [snip]

    Thanks! That works too. I was just using frames before as it allowed me a
    nice way to get the ability to automatically scroll the plots when they
    happen to be large in size. But your solution fixes that.

    --
    Rahul

    Rahul, Jun 18, 2010