Framesets

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gregc., May 5, 2006.

  1. Gregc.

    Gregc. Guest

    G'day

    I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
    left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

    HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    </FRAMESET>

    </HTML>

    However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
    welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
    about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

    Greg
     
    Gregc., May 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gregc. wrote:
    > G'day


    Hi

    > I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
    > left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

    <snip>

    > ...Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.



    ME FIRST, ME FIRST,

    You can overcome it by losing the frames....
     
    Travis Newbury, May 5, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gregc.

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Gregc." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > G'day
    >
    > I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
    > left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:
    >
    > HTML>
    > <HEAD>
    > <TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    > </HTML>
    >
    > However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
    > welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
    > about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.
    >
    > Greg
    >


    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=why frames are evil&meta=

    but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
    target attribute.


    Paul
     
    Paul Watt, May 5, 2006
    #3
  4. Gregc. wrote:

    > G'day
    >
    > I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
    > left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:
    >
    > HTML>
    > <HEAD>
    > <TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    > </HTML>
    >
    > However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
    > welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
    > about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.


    How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
    In the section above, it should be like this:
    <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
    </FRAMESET>

    Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.

    On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
    frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, May 5, 2006
    #4
  5. Gregc.

    Gregc. Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
    > In the section above, it should be like this:
    > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    > Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
    >
    > On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
    > frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
    > http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
    >
    > --

    Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
    <HTML>

    <FRAMESET>
    <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
    <FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
    <FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
    </FRAMESET>

    </HTML>

    But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
    instead of the right.
    Greg
     
    Gregc., May 5, 2006
    #5
  6. Gregc.

    Jake Guest

    In message <>,
    Gregc. <> writes
    >
    >Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >> How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
    >> In the section above, it should be like this:
    >> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    >> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    >> <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
    >> </FRAMESET>
    >>
    >> Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
    >> frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
    >> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
    >>
    >> --

    >Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
    ><HTML>
    >
    > <FRAMESET>
    > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
    > <FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
    > <FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    ></HTML>
    >
    >But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
    >instead of the right.
    >Greg



    Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
    a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?

    BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.


    >


    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)
     
    Jake, May 5, 2006
    #6
  7. Gregc.

    Gregc. Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
    > a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?
    >
    > BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.
    >
    >
    > >

    >
    > --

    I can't give you the url, because I am developing the site from
    scratch. I thouhg name="main" refers to the right hand side of the
    frame.

    Greg
     
    Gregc., May 5, 2006
    #7
  8. Gregc. wrote:

    >
    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the
    > > frameset? In the section above, it should be like this:
    > > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > > <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
    > > </FRAMESET>
    > >
    > > Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
    > > frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
    > > http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
    > >
    > > --

    > Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
    > <HTML>
    >
    > <FRAMESET>
    > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
    > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
    > <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
    > <FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
    > <FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    > </HTML>
    >
    > But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
    > instead of the right.
    > Greg


    Yes, but since you've specified only 2 columns in the <frameset> tag,
    the browser probably ignores that setup and does things its own way.
    If you rather did <FRAMESET COLS="200,*,*,*" ...>, you might get a
    different result.

    Also, having three frames with the same name defies the purpose of
    having named frames at all. In your nav_.htm file, links will be
    defined as <a href="url" target="Main">, which makes the selected URL
    open in the specified frame with the name "Main" (or anything else you
    write in the "target" attribute).

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, May 6, 2006
    #8
  9. Gregc.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Paul Watt" <> wrote:

    > but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
    > target attribute.


    You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 6, 2006
    #9
  10. Gregc.

    Gregc. Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    >
    > --


    The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    the display on the right side.

    Greg
     
    Gregc., May 6, 2006
    #10
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gregc." <>
    writing in news::

    >> You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    >>
    >> --

    >
    > The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    > the display on the right side.
    >
    >


    Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
    reason to be used.

    Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
     
    Adrienne Boswell, May 6, 2006
    #11
  12. Gregc.

    Eric Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gregc." <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >>> You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >>
    >> The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    >> the display on the right side.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
    > reason to be used.
    >
    > Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.
    >

    You anti-frames guys are always the same. You never show how and always
    reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont show how.
    Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using your method?
    Post some code.
    Eric
     
    Eric, May 6, 2006
    #12
  13. Gregc.

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Gregc." <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    > >
    > > --

    >
    > The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    > the display on the right side.
    >
    > Greg


    Your reasoning is bad. What the client insists on is not a
    description of frames. If he said to bring him the head of a
    Martian on a platter, he is not dictating how you do this.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 6, 2006
    #13
  14. Gregc.

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, dorayme
    <> vouchsafed:

    >> The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    >> the display on the right side.
    >>
    >> Greg

    >
    > Your reasoning is bad. What the client insists on is not a
    > description of frames. If he said to bring him the head of a
    > Martian on a platter, he is not dictating how you do this.


    I thought Martians were all thorax, abdomen, and wierd appendages.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
     
    Neredbojias, May 6, 2006
    #14
  15. Gregc.

    Jake Guest

    In message <>,
    Gregc. <> writes
    >Jake wrote:
    >> Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
    >> a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?
    >>
    >> BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.
    >>
    >>
    >> >

    >>
    >> --

    >I can't give you the url, because I am developing the site from
    >scratch. I thouhg name="main" refers to the right hand side of the
    >frame.
    >
    >Greg
    >


    Is this the kind of thing you want to do?

    http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/newg/test1.htm


    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)
     
    Jake, May 6, 2006
    #15
  16. Eric wrote:
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gregc." <>
    >> writing in news::
    >>
    >>>> You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>> The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    >>> the display on the right side.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
    >> reason to be used.
    >>
    >> Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.
    >>

    > You anti-frames guys are always the same. You never show how and always
    > reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont show how.
    > Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using your method?
    > Post some code.
    > Eric
    >



    ##somepage.php:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>No Frames</title>

    </head>
    <body>
    <?php include_once(navbar.php); ?>
    <p>The rest of my page content...</p>
    </body>
    </html>

    ##navbar.php:

    <div class="navbar">
    <ul>
    <li><a href="page1.php">Page 1</a></li>
    <li><a href="page2.php">Page 2</a></li>
    <li><a href="page3.php">Page 3</a></li>
    <li><a href="page4.php">Page 4</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>

    Note for future enhancements:

    Use an array or object for navigation links so that you can test for
    what page you are currently on and either skip that link in your menu or
    generate at as text and not a link to indicate that page you are on! Far
    superior to frames.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, May 6, 2006
    #16
  17. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Eric <> writing
    in news::

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gregc."
    >> <> writing in
    >> news::
    >>
    >>>> You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>
    >>> The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
    >>> the display on the right side.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
    >> reason to be used.
    >>
    >> Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.
    >>

    > You anti-frames guys are always the same.


    Please look at my reply carefully. I did not imply that I was anti-
    frames, I said that frames almost _never_ have any reason to be used.

    > You never show how and
    > always reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont
    > show how.


    There is no need to post these reasons here for all to see mainly
    because the regulars already know this, and a lot of readers also already
    know this. It would be a waste of everyone's time. The OP can check the
    links at his leisure.


    > Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using
    > your method? Post some code.
    > Eric
    >


    This is not a help desk. The OP is free to search this group or Google
    for means to do this.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
     
    Adrienne Boswell, May 6, 2006
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. terry

    Unhandled Exceptions & Framesets

    terry, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    431
    Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]
    Jul 3, 2003
  2. Sue
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    784
    Marshal Antony
    Jan 21, 2004
  3. Andy Fish

    forms authentication with framesets

    Andy Fish, Jun 12, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,615
    Andy Fish
    Jun 12, 2004
  4. Guadala Harry
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    304
    Rutger Smit
    Sep 9, 2004
  5. Aaron

    Do framesets work in asp.net?

    Aaron, Sep 22, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,425
    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]
    Sep 22, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page