How to include a JAR file within a JAR file?

Donkey Hottie

I'm a little puzzled myself, and not near the particular WebLogic
environment just now anyway. I think it might have to do with the fact
that the unpacked stuff is in a temporary directory and not really
somewhere comfortable.

Doesn't the Java EE spec require containers to accept either a WAR or
directory-based deployment? Maybe not and I'm too lazy right now to
look it up. I don't think there's anything in there that requires a
container to unpack a WAR, but I figure it's the easiest way to deploy a
WAR, just as unpacking a ZIP-based application is the easiest way to
deploy it.

I now begin to remember... It was Eclipse BIRT. The BIRT.WAR has some
report files included in the WAR. We did the same with out own reports,
and while BIRT.WAR works fine in Tomcat or JBoss, it did not work in
Weblogic 8.1. We had to say to customer to unpack the war then it worked.

Luckily BIRT viewer accepts report file location as a request parameter,
so we then moved the reports to /opt/something and BIRT and out
application were happy, no unpacking of WAR needed any more.

Arne Vajhøj

Unpacking wars is optional behavior in Tomcat.

You can set unpackWARs="false" in Host.

Then Tomcat does not unpack the war in webapps.

But it does unpack the war to work instead then.

Arne

Mike Schilling

Arne Vajhøj said:
You can set unpackWARs="false" in Host.

Then Tomcat does not unpack the war in webapps.

But it does unpack the war to work instead then.

Ah. Seems rather pointless, then.

Arne Vajhøj

Ah. Seems rather pointless, then.

I have never heard about it being used.

But there are some small point - the work stuff is temporary
stuff and even with unpackWARs="true" the compiled JSP goes
there.

Arne