how to list all variables

James Monroe

1st off... I am not talking about session, application, form, or server
variables..

Does any one know of an asp script or program than can analyze a ".asp" page
and report back all of the variables used.

I am re-doing some old code from the past that did not use option explicit
and it would be a lot easier to dim the variables if something could list
them off to meall at once

there must be something... I know some of the tools that convert asp to aspx
will dim variables that were not dimmed as it does the conversion... but
those converters are very expensive so I don't have one

anyone know of anything...

maybe an asp report tool that helps you doument code does it... ??

Chris Barber

UltraEdit (or any text editor worth it's salt), even Visual Interdev will do
it (and give you a nice list to click on).

Do a find for 'Dim ' and work from there.

Chris.

1st off... I am not talking about session, application, form, or server
variables..

Does any one know of an asp script or program than can analyze a ".asp" page
and report back all of the variables used.

I am re-doing some old code from the past that did not use option explicit
and it would be a lot easier to dim the variables if something could list
them off to meall at once

there must be something... I know some of the tools that convert asp to aspx
will dim variables that were not dimmed as it does the conversion... but
those converters are very expensive so I don't have one

anyone know of anything...

maybe an asp report tool that helps you doument code does it... ??

James Monroe

Now what good is searching for a "dim" in the source code going to do if the
variables are not dimmed in the 1st place ?
I don't think you read the question very well and your response is not
relevant at all.

Thx go out to the guy who posted the object cleanup vbscript, but it really
doesn't do much that I see except tell you whether or not the ".asp" file in
question needs to be reviewed or not.

Bob Barrows

James said:
Now what good is searching for a "dim" in the source code going to do
if the variables are not dimmed in the 1st place ?
I don't think you read the question very well and your response is not
relevant at all.

Here's a great lesson in how to get help:
Never fail to criticize somebody for taking the time to try and help. This
will make people so much more eagar to try an help you in the future ...
NOT!

Don't bother replying: I won't see it.

Dave Anderson

James Monroe said:
Now what good is searching for a "dim" in the source code
going to do if the variables are not dimmed in the 1st
place ?

For starters, it will allow you to invntory those variables that have been
explicitly declared. You can use the Option Explicit Statement to find the rest.

You can work it out yourself with that attitude.

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of
this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not contact me
directly or ask me to contact you directly for assistance. If your question is
worth asking, it's worth posting.

James Monroe

actually... this is a perfect example of typical newgroup attitude...

taking things personal that are not
not taking the time to fully read read a question
spitting out non relevent answers

what part of no variables are declared is so hard to understand ??
no wonder people get annoyed with these newgroups

Chris Barber

Point taken, I did 'misread' the post.
Thanks for the sarcasm though, much appreciated.

Chris.

James Monroe said:
actually... this is a perfect example of typical newgroup attitude...

Irony. Amusing.
taking things personal that are not

[Snip]

Yawn. As I said, work it out yourself. I suggest a helping of regular
expressions and a focus on the assignment operator.

--
Dave Anderson