How to make CORBA pick the appropriate Proxy?

Andreas Leitgeb

Starting out from an ior String, the app does essentially that:

- ORB orb = org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init(
new String[0], java.util.Properties() );
- org.omg.CORBA.Object servObj =
orb.string_to_object( ior );
- factoryInst = SomeFactoryHelper.narrow ( servObj );

(plus lots of null-checks, and enclosing try-catch.)

We use JacORB, and the problem is, that it isn't aware
of the proxy that is configured with the browser.

The application runs with webstart, and both the hosting website,
the jnlp document and the jars named therein are successfully
retrieved through the configured proxy, but the CORBA connection
is attempted locally (as we saw with wireshark).

Is any extra magic needed? (some extra CORBA-call, Properties,...)
Is anything done wrong?
Does JacORB specifically not support Proxies?
Is it just an entirely unusual thing to have CORBA connections
over whatever proxy the browser used for the hosting site?

PS: This is a re-try of a previous post that didn't get any replies
at all, and I hope that this one is more answer-able.

Andreas Leitgeb

markspace said:
I don't know specifically about your issue, but have a look at this:
<http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip42.html>
Works for general networking, if COBRA just uses network defaults, it
should also work for COBRA, I'd guess.

It was not so much the URL, but more the fact that there was an answer
and that this answer didn't just point out any obvious mistakes in my
text, that helped me one step further:

I redid my experiment with wireshark, and got an entirely different
result this time. It seems now, that I have severely goofed previously
(I had started a "telnet <remote-ip> <remote-port>" which I used to
check wireshark's filter expression, and which I then forgot about
and whose packets I then took as coming from the app.)

*I'm quite embarassed now*

So finally I saw that Corba does use the Proxy just fine and this thread
has become moot.

Thanks, still!