Using browser's proxy-settings from a javaws-app?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andreas Leitgeb, Jan 25, 2010.

  1. I've got an application running with javaws. The server is behind
    a socks proxy (which is configured in firefox, and the hosting
    website works fine).

    JavaWS (per ControlPanel) is configured to use the browser's proxy-
    settings and successfully downloads all the .jar-files mentioned in
    the jnlp-document.

    The application itself attempts to open a corba connection to the
    server (the same one that served the jnlp and the jar files), but for
    some reasons it does not use the proxy-settings, but instead tries
    to reach the server directly and fails.

    The application code seems to use some Corba-API (jacorb) and
    at some point reports to me that an org.omg.CORBA.SystemException
    had occurred.

    I'm not the developer of the application, but I can talk to them,
    and I'd like to know roughly what to tell them, if they don't know
    themselves. I'm not in the position to /demand/ that feature, so my
    chances of ever enjoying socks-proxy support depends on how complicated
    it is to do it, while the normal case is still without any proxy at all.

    Is Corba principially socks-able? Should it work, anyway, unless something
    is done utterly wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    PS: The application already requires Java 1.6

    PPS: I googled for "java corba socks" and others, but was less than excited
    by the results. Some make vague references about bugs in 1.5 or new
    features in 1.6, but then the respective asker says 1.4, so those 1.6
    related things are not spoken out there...

    Andreas Leitgeb, Jan 25, 2010