how to make webservice calls in a batch

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by ranga, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. ranga

    ranga Guest

    >> Does WebService support calling methods in a batch. I have the following
    two scenarios:

    case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
    update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
    batch/transaction

    case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
    methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
    want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both may
    not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
    need to investigate the exception in each method ?

    thanks
    ranga

    ranga, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Hello ranga,

    You would need to either use a web service stack that implements WS-Transaction
    [http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-transaction.asp].
    The quick and dirty is to use the transaction Option (uses enterprise services).
    You could also think of enclosing both operations in one web method and that
    would protect the client against the risks of either method from failing

    HTH
    Regards,
    Dilip Krishnan
    MCAD, MCSD.net
    dkrishnan at geniant dot com
    http://www.geniant.com

    Dilip Krishnan, Jan 4, 2005

  3. ranga

    ranga Guest

    >> How can i use the quick and dirty option that you mention if i don't have
    control
    over the webservice ? i.e i am not the developer of the webservice ?

    >> thanks for the link regarding the ws-transaction

    regards
    ranga

    ranga, Jan 4, 2005