How to manage header/footer on web form

stevesj

I have a web form that generates 4 or 5 printed pages of html and a few
images. I know how to insert CSS page breaks.

Is there a way to calculate on the server where the page will break - like
an IE print preview on the server ?

or

Is there a way on the server to include a header/footer such that when the
web form is printed from Internet Explorer, each printed page has a header
and footer?

Thanks for any direction

Guest

I have a web form that generates 4 or 5 printed pages of html and a few
images. I know how to insert CSS page breaks.

Is there a way to calculate on the server where the page will break - like
an IE print preview on the server ?

A print preview is related to the client's printer.
You cannot get this information on the server side.

stevesj

I understand that print preview is client side.

I'm wondering if there is a way to create dynamic headers and footers in the
web form on the server, say at every 7.5 inches. There exist .Net PDF
products that convert web form html into PDF format and insert dynamic
headers/footers. I'm just wondering if there is a similar way of
accomplishing this in a web form.

Guest

I understand that print preview is client side.

I'm wondering if there is a way to create dynamic headers and footers in the
web form on the server, say at every 7.5 inches. There exist .Net PDF
products that convert web form html into PDF format and insert dynamic
headers/footers. I'm just wondering if there is a similar way of
accomplishing this in a web form.

I think a similar way would be a library used GDI+ to make a graphic
output that can be shown on the "print preview" ASP.NET page. There
are many similar things called "HTML-to-Image"... I guess it will be
too complex

Another way could be an export to a Word document

Of course, you can also do a fixed-height tables or divs and make a
css print breaks between them, but I guess you know this way and you
don't like it...

Guest

I think a similar way would be a library used GDI+ to make a graphic
output that can be shown on the "print preview" ASP.NET page. There
are many similar things called "HTML-to-Image"... I guess it will be
too complex

Another way could be an export to a Word document

Of course, you can also do a fixed-height tables or divs and make a
css print breaks between them, but I guess you know this way and you
don't like it...

P.S.
maybe this give you some thoughts on the question
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/RussprintTemplates.asp