How to prevent download of images on my pages.

moondaddy

I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click and
selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu event from
javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
just the required pieces.

Peter Rilling

Or you can just turn off JavaScript and the context menu will always be
shown. Or you can view the document source, get the image URLs and navigate
the browser to them directly. Point being that it is not hard to get around
the programmatic restrictions.

In the end, it may be more trouble then it is worth to restrict the
downloading of the images. What you might do is place some kind of
watermark on the images to make it more difficult for the person to use on a
non-legitimate way.

Alvin Bruney said:
you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu event from
javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
just the required pieces.

Kevin Spencer

Any web site which has right-click disabled is a sign of an amateur web
site. If your clients don't mind having that reputation, go right ahead.
There is simply no way to prevent pictures from being downloaded by the
browser. That is, after all, what a browser does. If you see it in the page,
it's already on your computer.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Alvin Bruney said:
you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu event from
javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
just the required pieces.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
moondaddy said:
I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click and
selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

well i wouldn't go as far as saying it is amateur, i think that is overly
hash. OP probably needs to protect his IP thru copyrighting, that will give
some legal recourse, or the watermark is a good idea, although a good dose
of paintshop pro will remove the watermark.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

Alvin Bruney said:
you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu event from
javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
just the required pieces.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
Got tidbits? Get it here...
http://tinyurl.com/3he3b
I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right
click
and
selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

gabriel

moondaddy said:
I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click
and selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

No can do. You can make it so the the majority of users cannot save it
(ie, through JavaScript as was mentioned), but if someone really wants to
save it, they will.

Think about it: You have to transfer the picture to the web browser so it
can be displayed, right? In that case it already is: 1) in the client
computer's memory, and 2) probably in a cache locally too.

If you want to see how else you can try to protect your picture post here.

Kevin Spencer

Yes, digital watermarks are the only possible means to any real kind of
protection. Of course, it doesn't stop someone from copying the images, but
it does make it possible to track them down and prosecute.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer said:
Any web site which has right-click disabled is a sign of an amateur web
site. If your clients don't mind having that reputation, go right ahead.
There is simply no way to prevent pictures from being downloaded by the
browser. That is, after all, what a browser does. If you see it in the page,
it's already on your computer.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
.Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.
use
on
non-legitimate way.

you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu
event
from
javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
just the required pieces.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
Got tidbits? Get it here...
http://tinyurl.com/3he3b
I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click
and
selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

George Ter-Saakov

Here is solutions you might try.

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

Dan Brussee

Just for giggles, I will often check out "image stopper" attempts.
Very few cannot be easily outwitted. If you are only interested in
keeping "honest people honest" then go for it. Otherwise, just figure
any image that you put on the web can be downloaded and work around
it. If you are putting copies of images you want money for, try
putting a complex watermark on the image. Also, make the image very
low resolution. It will keep people from being able to use it for
much, plus saves download time. The Flash option might work better
than the Java applet, but even then, there is always Alt-Print-Screen.

Here is solutions you might try.

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

Curt_C [MVP]

Two words.....
screen capture

If you can see it, it is available to "steal".

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

George Ter-Saakov said:
Here is solutions you might try.

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

George Ter-Saakov said:
Here is solutions you might try.

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

The problem is that anyone can still just screenshot the picture. At most you
can protect against users who dont know very much. But anyone with even a
little bit of knowledge will easily be able to get the pictures one way or
another.

Kevin Spencer

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

Can you say "Screen Capture?" (CTRL|PRINT SCREEN)

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

George Ter-Saakov said:
Here is solutions you might try.

1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
2. Flash to show the pictures.

Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Use below line of code in your page HTML. It will give you desired result.

~NiKs