    I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click and
    selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

    --

    moondaddy, Feb 16, 2004

  2. you cannot prevent it. you may take steps to make it more difficult but
    there are always ways to get the picture. i'd suggest you copyright the
    picture. if this doesn't work for you, handle the oncontextmenu event from
    javascript which fires off when the right mouse button is clicked. there
    won't be a menu so the picture won't be saved....for the most part.

    a savvy user can always capture the entire screen and use paint to obtain
    just the required pieces.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 16, 2004

  3. Or you can just turn off JavaScript and the context menu will always be
    shown. Or you can view the document source, get the image URLs and navigate
    the browser to them directly. Point being that it is not hard to get around
    the programmatic restrictions.

    In the end, it may be more trouble then it is worth to restrict the
    downloading of the images. What you might do is place some kind of
    watermark on the images to make it more difficult for the person to use on a
    non-legitimate way.

    Peter Rilling, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Any web site which has right-click disabled is a sign of an amateur web
    site. If your clients don't mind having that reputation, go right ahead.
    There is simply no way to prevent pictures from being downloaded by the
    browser. That is, after all, what a browser does. If you see it in the page,
    it's already on your computer.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 16, 2004
  5. well i wouldn't go as far as saying it is amateur, i think that is overly
    hash. OP probably needs to protect his IP thru copyrighting, that will give
    some legal recourse, or the watermark is a good idea, although a good dose
    of paintshop pro will remove the watermark.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 16, 2004
  6. moondaddy

    gabriel Guest

    moondaddy wrote:

    > I have images that I need to prevent the user from doing a right click
    > and selecting "Save Picture As"? How can I do this?

    No can do. You can make it so the the majority of users cannot save it
    (ie, through JavaScript as was mentioned), but if someone really wants to
    save it, they will.

    Think about it: You have to transfer the picture to the web browser so it
    can be displayed, right? In that case it already is: 1) in the client
    computer's memory, and 2) probably in a cache locally too.

    If you want to see how else you can try to protect your picture post here.

    --
    gabriel

    gabriel, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Yes, digital watermarks are the only possible means to any real kind of
    protection. Of course, it doesn't stop someone from copying the images, but
    it does make it possible to track them down and prosecute.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Here is solutions you might try.

    1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
    2. Flash to show the pictures.

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 16, 2004
  9. moondaddy

    Dan Brussee Guest

    Just for giggles, I will often check out "image stopper" attempts.
    Very few cannot be easily outwitted. If you are only interested in
    keeping "honest people honest" then go for it. Otherwise, just figure
    any image that you put on the web can be downloaded and work around
    it. If you are putting copies of images you want money for, try
    putting a complex watermark on the image. Also, make the image very
    low resolution. It will keep people from being able to use it for
    much, plus saves download time. The Flash option might work better
    than the Java applet, but even then, there is always Alt-Print-Screen.

    Dan Brussee, Feb 16, 2004
  10. moondaddy

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Two words.....
    screen capture

    If you can see it, it is available to "steal".

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Feb 16, 2004
  11. "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote in news:#FcYFjN9DHA.3380
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    > Here is solutions you might try.
    >
    > 1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
    > 2. Flash to show the pictures.

    The problem is that anyone can still just screenshot the picture. At most you
    can protect against users who dont know very much. But anyone with even a
    little bit of knowledge will easily be able to get the pictures one way or
    another.

    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, Feb 16, 2004
  12. > 1. Javaapplet showing the pictures.
    > 2. Flash to show the pictures.

    Can you say "Screen Capture?" (CTRL|PRINT SCREEN)

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 17, 2004
  13. moondaddy

    Nikhil@TCS

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2008
    Messages:
    Use below line of code in your page HTML. It will give you desired result.

    ~NiKs

    Nikhil@TCS, Oct 10, 2008