How to print .PDF files in the background using C#

S_K

Hi,

I have a directory full of a number of .PDF files that I need to
print.
Is there any simple way to do this?
Using PdfReader purhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

S_K

As this is an ASP.NET newsgroup, are you trying to print these documents via
a web application i.e. through a web browser...?

I'm sorry. It's an ASP.NET web application.

Thanks

S_K

You're not going to be able to persuade a web application to control a
printer automatically for security reasons - all modern web browsers are
designed specifically to prevent this...

Your best bet would be to make the PDF documents available as hyperlinks.
This would allow the user to display the documents individually and print
them as required...

I'm sorry, there are over 300 .PDF documents stored on a remote
server. Displaying them indivitually and printing them is completely
out of the question! Is there anyway to print them on the server (not
client-web browser) side?

Steve

S_K

There's no need to apologise...

Yes, but not natively as PDF support isn't built into the .NET Framework.
However, there are many 3rd-party add-ins which you can use:http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&r...

Alternatively, if this is a one-off exercise and you have networked or even
direct access to the server in question, maybe bespoke software is not the
most cost-effective solution...? Have you considered maybe just getting a
temp in and printing the documents manually? 300 documents isn't that
many...

Thanks Mark for your solution. I'll imediately look into it.
I do have direct access to the server in question.

By the way, thats 300 documents per week! While it would help the
unemployement rate to hire a temp to print the 300 documents, I would
rather just give my user a PRINT button that prints everything in the
server directory.

Thanks again. As always you have been very helpful!

Steve

George Ter-Saakov

It's going to be hard to print document from server to clients printer.
Although it's possible.
1st step: You need to register printer on a server. Google "print from
Windows service" to see how to do it.
2nd step: Adobe Arobat support "DDE automation" or simple command string. So
something like
AcroRd32.exe /t "C:\test.pdf" "\\servername\printername" "AdobePS Tektronix
Phaser 840" "123.45.678.910"
will work

Visit this link http://support.adobe.com/devsup/devsup.nsf/docs/52080.htm

How about merging all 300 pdfs into 1 big PDF file? Then you can open up it
in browser and have user to click "Print" button only once.
Then you do not need to mess with the printers/adobe....
Look for ITextSharp - free C# library to work with PDF.

George.

You're not going to be able to persuade a web application to control a
printer automatically for security reasons - all modern web browsers are
designed specifically to prevent this...

Your best bet would be to make the PDF documents available as hyperlinks.
This would allow the user to display the documents individually and print
them as required...

I'm sorry, there are over 300 .PDF documents stored on a remote
server. Displaying them indivitually and printing them is completely
out of the question! Is there anyway to print them on the server (not
client-web browser) side?

Steve

net.anuj

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--------

How about merging all 300 pdfs into 1 big PDF file? Then you can open up it
in browser and have user to click "Print" button only once.
Then you do not need to mess with the printers/adobe....
Look for ITextSharp - free C# library to work with PDF.

George.

Create a small thick client application (let's call it the print
manager) that gets installed on the dealers machine's. This can be a
simple executable that need not run as a service or even in the task
tray. Once all of the documents have been generated (as separate
documents on the server) and saved to the appropriate location on the
server (preferably in the database) a special document should be
downloaded to the client (called a manifest) that contains a list of
all the files (or file IDs) that need to be printed as well as their
print options. The manifest should have a unique extension that is
recognized and associated with the print manager such that when the
file is opened, the print manager automatically launches. The print
manager will download each document listed in the manifest and
automatically print it. Because the print manager runs as a thick
client, it can directly communicate with the printer, setting the
approprate page size, orientation and duplex settings. Alternatively,
the manifest file could contain only the list of documents and the
print options could be sent as meta-data along with the document.
Prefered method for communicating with the server

dpk.kataria

Hi,

I have a directory full of a number of .PDF files that I need to
print.
Is there any simple way to do this?
Using PdfReader purhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Hi

I have a number of pdf files in a directory. i want to print all and
want a .ps file.

please suggest me.

How can i do this in C#?

Hoping to hear from your side.