How to protect my source code ~~

Joan

Boki said:
In fact, they are not our customer but co-operation company,
they provide image sensor chip and tech, we provide wirless
part, we are going to a new product on phone, right now, I am
the only one who can control these code, and I learn it by
myself, I despise someone always say "the java code is short
and nothing special, I don't think that is important to share
your code to them or not" , what the shit, I think the most
wanted is the shit guy...

Remind me to never hire you to do anything.

Boki

Again, they are not customer, and not official release.

that is no RFQ/XXX/ any thihng else project, they guys just want to
try/learn first, they don't care the product can be really sold or not.

Because it is an internally work ( hide the true to prisident ), I really
hate to release my code by this way.

Best regards,
Boki.

Mark Haase

Boki said:
How?

I know how to generate jar, but, can they use the jar directly?

I think they still need to develop/modify some codes...

Best regards,
Boki.

Boki, you really aren't being clear about what you're trying to do. I
don't know if its a language barrier (is english not your first
language) or a secrecy barrier (you cant provide much detail about what
you're doing.)

It sounds to me like what you're doing is releasing some code to
somebody else so that they can leverage your codebase to develop their
own software faster. Unless you're *required* by contract to give them
source code, simply provide them class files. Create interface files
that will enable them to write plugin code that leverages your code.
Comment heavily and appropriately, and use javadoc. Put everything in an
encrypted JAR (so nobody else can read it outside of the client
firm...an implicit legal defense if you find out somebody else is using
your code).

If this isn't what you meant, then I suggest you clarify some more what
the problem is. If they are expecting source code, then that's what you
have to give them, whether or not you're peeved at the terms of the
contract if its legally-binding you need to obey. (This all assumes
you're in the U.S....if you're in China, e.g., you can basically ignore
contracts with the U.S. because low-profile legal disputes are routinely
swept under the rug.)

ChrisWSU

Actually there is no way to do this... you can make it harder to read
but you cannot "protect" it. Even obfuscated code can be decompiled
weither it be c or java (by hand can be a pain though) if someone wants
to enough.

solution: a licence, they copy it/modify it, sue them. thank DMCA
better solution: just lock your code in a safe and never give it to
anyone, then it cant be modified!
even better: open source... thats right, i said it :p

Roedy Green

Actually there is no way to do this... you can make it harder to read
but you cannot "protect" it. Even obfuscated code can be decompiled
weither it be c or java (by hand can be a pain though) if someone wants
to enough.

in my essay on obfuscation, I mention native compilation using an
optimising compiler. This makes the pirate's job at least a couple of
orders of magnitude more difficult.

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html

Boki

Mark Haase said:
Boki, you really aren't being clear about what you're trying to do. I
don't know if its a language barrier (is english not your first
language) or a secrecy barrier (you cant provide much detail about what
you're doing.)

It sounds to me like what you're doing is releasing some code to
somebody else so that they can leverage your codebase to develop their
own software faster. Unless you're *required* by contract to give them
source code, simply provide them class files. Create interface files
that will enable them to write plugin code that leverages your code.
Comment heavily and appropriately, and use javadoc. Put everything in an
encrypted JAR (so nobody else can read it outside of the client
firm...an implicit legal defense if you find out somebody else is using
your code).
This is correct.

But my boss/president say OK to release them.... ( do they write the code
??? = = )

and my boss always want to learn anything I have done.. and always said that
is nothing ~ nothing ~ ( = = shit ... )

if he said: "Wow, cool, could you please share me the source code?" I will
say " of course, why not ! "

but he always try to use any other shit mehtods to get my code/knowledge ...
I think it is a really shit(man).

I try to use class today, the shit man/men still ask my ALL source code, why
should I give?

I get nothing from them, but I have to teach they something..... finally, I
still get nothing, and shit man/men will brag about how good are they.... =
=

Boki

what I only got is "implement their boring protocol" ....

guess what they got - "J2ME develop knowledge/ complete source code(about
this project, and I personally coding it), originally, they know nothing
about J2ME/WTK..., but now, they can develop too, and they have my complete
source code.

Do you(all) think that is fair?

If you were me, what will you do? !!! angry `~~ angry ~~~

Benji

In comp.lang.java.programmer Boki said:
But my boss/president say OK to release them.... ( do they write the code
??? = = )
and my boss always want to learn anything I have done.. and always said that
is nothing ~ nothing ~ ( = = shit ... )
if he said: "Wow, cool, could you please share me the source code?" I will
say " of course, why not ! "
but he always try to use any other shit mehtods to get my code/knowledge ...
I think it is a really shit(man).
I try to use class today, the shit man/men still ask my ALL source code, why
should I give?
I get nothing from them, but I have to teach they something..... finally, I
still get nothing, and shit man/men will brag about how good are they.... =
=

Wow.

Dennis Willson

One question... Did you write the code on company time and/or using company equipment? Even if not does it directly have something
to do with what you do at work? If yes on any of these then the company actually owns the code, not you.

I sound like you're more concerned with credit for the code instead of the Intellectual Property issues.

I have had this problem too... In fact since I program outside of my normal job both before and during I got the job, I have code
that I have found useful to use at work that I developed on my time on my equipment even before holding the current job. I make them
sign a form acknowledging the fact that I own the code and give the company non-exclusive rights to use the executables. No source
is ever given. Just like they bought a set of libraries (jar files) from another company. If they want the source that will actually
cost them real money.

Dennis
Mark Haase said:
[...]

Believe it or not, some employment contracts give exclusive right to
any code you write during your employment time even if you do it at
home on your home computer.

My personal belief is you are morally obligated to provide source. If
I drop dead, they will need it to carry on, even if just to figure out
how to rewrite the app.

One way I have seen this handled is with an escrow arrangement. In
the event of (going out of business, death of someone, dropping the
product ...) the source in a lawyer's safe it handed to the customer.

Benji

In comp.lang.java.programmer Boki said:
what I only got is "implement their boring protocol" ....
guess what they got - "J2ME develop knowledge/ complete source code(about
this project, and I personally coding it), originally, they know nothing
about J2ME/WTK..., but now, they can develop too, and they have my complete
source code.
Do you(all) think that is fair?
If you were me, what will you do? !!! angry `~~ angry ~~~

You seem to think that your programming knowledge is like a fine wine that
your employers should bown down and worship you for even thinking about
gracing their presence with. It seems to me that this is misguided,
since your question about protecting code is a fairly basic one that shows
that you haven't thought through the problem for very long.

This is what I would do. Give them the source code. Don't worry so much
about protecting it. Most people that write code for a living never get
even retain so much as the copyright for their code...but we gain knowledge
from the process.

So, learn your lesson from this. Find out specifically what a job requires
you to do before you sign a contract to do it. If you don't like how much
of your source code you have to give away, then don't take the job.

Boki

Hi All,
I think law is just law, in our culture, we always say
morality/friendship/sensibility first, it has adventage and disadvantage...
Finally, I release all my source code:

1. In fact, it is not so diffcult to complete these codes, I am just the
best one who can complete this at best time. ( even I am really repugnant
about they learn from me, and I l can learn nothing from them ).

2. I agree open source is the best way to improve code.

3. My president allow me two extra days off. ( my two days off exchanges the
chance about get a large number of order , seems not very fair ... :) )

In this story, I feel bad to share my effort, because I bring up so many
competitions by myself ( source code ), the good is I really must to have
better skill now. ( and please advice the other advantages.. )

How you(all) control/protect/share your code(effort) to make balance ( and
keep good relationship )in this world/company/project/...?

Best regards,
Boki.

Dennis Willson said:
[...]

I ever heard about this kind of viewpoint, "drop dead", but I think, if I
will die, I will care about the benefits more.... not the boring code
first... unless it can chagne the world....

In fact, I am very glad to share my code to this world, ( but I can't do it
now), but I despise someone want to get something by a dirty method/path.

Mark Haase

Boki said:
1. In fact, it is not so diffcult to complete these codes, I am just the
best one who can complete this at best time. ( even I am really repugnant
about they learn from me, and I l can learn nothing from them ).

If your code is as readable as your English, they won't learn much. I've
followed this entire thread and still don't understand what you're
talking about.

bokiteam

Thanks... in fact, I didn't think about I will become the one who
control the major code for company some day before, may be it is good
for me now...

Benji

In said:
Thanks... in fact, I didn't think about I will become the one who
control the major code for company some day before, may be it is good
for me now...

Yes, well, this will be practical good for when you it is the head of a
main company of software. I am certain that you superb will make a work;
I wait that I have the pleasure to work for you when you he is.

Roedy Green

If your code is as readable as your English, they won't learn much. I've
followed this entire thread and still don't understand what you're
talking about.

This is what I think might be the case:

Boki wrote some code where there dispute over whether it is his or his
company's. Perhaps he wrote it on their computers in the evenings. The
company is demanding source. Boki does not want to give it to them.
Since he is an employee, they have him over a barrel.
There may be a employment contract that settles this.

Another interpretation is that Boki wrote some code on a contract
basis without a written contract as to what was included. He figures
by default, the customer is not entitled to source.

When you do contract work you want to be clear if the customer gets
exclusive rights to the code and whether they get source and whether
they have rights to resell the code.