How to publish my website

mrajanikrishna

Hi friends,

I've designed an application in my local system using VS.NET 2003.
(VB.NET and ASP.NET)
Its working fine. Now, I want to publish to my ISPs server. I've FTP
account.

How can I publish to server? Which files are needed to transfer?

in classic ASP, I copied all the files(what I used in my virtual
directory).
If I copy here also like that, Its giving error.

Runtime Error
custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
"mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a
custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the
application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Can anybody suggest me how to publish asp.net website?

thanking you

Onwuka Emeka

if you are using VS.net 2005 and you created a website project, i f you
right click on the project`s node, select publish website, you can specify
an ftp url and publish your
website directly to your host machine,

however if you are using VS 2003, after building the project, the files you
need on your host webserver are the .aspx, .ascx,.config and other resource
files images, stylesheets etc, and your bin folder, just deply these files
as though they were a classic asp project. the bin folder must be copied as
well to your host webserver.

To view a detailed description of the error you are getting from your
website open the web.config file change the section

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="On"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Hi friends,

I've designed an application in my local system using VS.NET 2003.
(VB.NET and ASP.NET)
Its working fine. Now, I want to publish to my ISPs server. I've FTP
account.

How can I publish to server? Which files are needed to transfer?

in classic ASP, I copied all the files(what I used in my virtual
directory).
If I copy here also like that, Its giving error.

There are a number of possibilities why it didn't work. My ISP for
example asks me to configure folders with active content to be a "web
application", which can be done using the web configuration tool that
they provide.

Normally, for ASP.NET 1.1 which is what you use, you can copy every
ASPX, ASCX, ASAX files, JavaScript files, CSS files, image files, and
the content of the "bin" folder to the web server, and also the
web.config. No need to copy the ".vb" files.

Try to turn the "customErrors" mode to Off like the error message
suggests, so that you can learn more about the error.

Also, try publishing to a localhost folder, to see what happens there.

HTH,
Laurent

Guest

You can try the "Copy Project" option, using the "only the files needed to
run this project" option, to another local folder, make it an IIS application
and test it locally, and then you can FTP that entire folder's contents
including subfolders and the /bin folder to your site.
Peter