How to put a component on top of all other components?

Mickey Segal

For adding components on top of other components, all code that I've seen
uses the method "add(Component, 0)" to add a component such as a ToolTip on
top of other components. Such "add(Component, 0)" code works everywhere
that I've tried except for the Macintosh implementation of Java 1.4
(demonstrated with a working applet and full source code at
http://Segal.org/java/AddOrder2/).

I can't find anything in the Java documentation to argue that the Macintosh
Java 1.4 behavior must be considered a bug, so I am not holding my breath
for Apple to change their implementation. Numerous GUI bugs that were known
since Apple Java 1.4 was released have not been fixed (details at
http://segal.org/macjavabugs) so arguable errors are likely to get even less
attention.

Is there some other way to place a component on top of others? I can't just
use Java 2 ToolTips; the goal is to create a Choice-like component that has
more functionality than the standard Choice, using a pull-down section that
will overlap other components while it is pulled down.

Andrew Thompson

For adding components on top .. Macintosh implementation of Java 1.4

Are you _sure_ the Mac is using 1.4?

AFAIU, in some Mac implementations you have
to configure Java jars to use 1.4 specifically,
otherwise they default to 1.3 (shrugs - go figure)

It would be interesing to see what
'wassup' reported for the Mac in qn.

BTW - why the 3 x X-posting?

I think this might be best suited to
c.l.j.programmer for the moment,
so I'll direct f'ups there.

Mickey Segal

Andrew Thompson said:
Are you _sure_ the Mac is using 1.4?

Yes, Macintosh Java 1.4 can be recognized with confidence by those familiar
with its many known bugs (e.g. http://segal.org/macjavabugs/) and by its
self-reporting of MRJ version as tested with
http://segal.org/java/configuration/ (non-Safari browsers use the older
3.3.3; i.e. Java 1.3).
BTW - why the 3 x X-posting?

Sorry. I almost always post just to c.l.j.programmer but this is a very
GUI-specific issue so it was unclear what the best choice should be.

Andrew Thompson

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:06:54 -0400, Mickey Segal wrote:

[...]

OK well, if I'm wrong about the version,
it might pay to reinclude c.l.j.gui,
cannot see a reason for c.l.j.help though,
we would just confuse the posters there!

Liz

((JDialog)p3).toFront();

Andrew Thompson said:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:06:54 -0400, Mickey Segal wrote:

OK well, if I'm wrong about the version,
it might pay to reinclude c.l.j.gui,
cannot see a reason for c.l.j.help though,
we would just confuse the posters there!

Mickey Segal

Liz said:
((JDialog)p3).toFront();

Using Java 2 would cut out a majority of our users in order to satisfy the
small number who use Java 1.4 on the Macintosh. Is there any Java 1.1 way
of doing this?