How to retrieve the homepage filename when filename doesn't exist in URL

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Diarmaid, May 12, 2004.

  1. Diarmaid

    Diarmaid Guest

    Hi!

    I've built a dynamic navigation system which compares the filename in
    the document URL with the filename in the navigation link in order to
    determine which link to highlight as "active".

    The problem I have is that the URL returned by document.URL (and
    location.href) does not include the filename when I'm sitting on the
    homepage. This means that when I compare the nav link with the
    document URL, I don't get a match.

    Eg:
    document.URL and location.href returns "http://mydomain.com/"
    The navigation link is "http://mydomain.com/index.html"

    How can I find out the current document's filename if I'm sitting on
    the homepage and the filename is not specified in the document URL?

    Thanks in advance,

    --Diarmaid.
    Diarmaid, May 12, 2004

  2. Diarmaid

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>, elev43
    @yahoo.com enlightened us with...

    > Eg:
    > document.URL and location.href returns "http://mydomain.com/"
    > The navigation link is "http://mydomain.com/index.html"
    >
    > How can I find out the current document's filename if I'm sitting on
    > the homepage and the filename is not specified in the document URL?

    Make a default. If no filename is specified, it's the home page.

    ~kaeli~
    Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, May 12, 2004

  3. Diarmaid

    Evertjan. Guest

    Diarmaid wrote on 12 mei 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > The problem I have is that the URL returned by document.URL (and
    > location.href) does not include the filename when I'm sitting on the
    > homepage. This means that when I compare the nav link with the
    > document URL, I don't get a match.
    >
    > Eg:
    > document.URL and location.href returns "http://mydomain.com/"
    > The navigation link is "http://mydomain.com/index.html"
    >
    > How can I find out the current document's filename if I'm sitting on
    > the homepage and the filename is not specified in the document URL?

    lhref = document.URL;
    if (/\/$/.test(lhref)) lhref += "index.html";
    alert(lhref);

    This will also do for all [sub]directories where index.html is the default.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., May 12, 2004
  4. Diarmaid

    Evertjan. Guest

    Balaji. M. wrote on 12 mei 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >> lhref = document.URL;
    >> if (/\/$/.test(lhref)) lhref += "index.html";
    >> alert(lhref);
    >>
    >> This will also do for all [sub]directories where index.html is the
    >> default.

    > Sometimes, default.htm, default.asp can also be used

    Yes, but ...

    clientside there is no way to see which default file is used.

    Normally
    index.htm,index.html,index.asp
    default.htm,default.html,default.asp
    etc.

    this should not be a problem for clientside coding on the page, since you
    will know what page you are coding on, unless you have a linked script.

    why not try this:

    <script type="text/javascript">var thispagenameis = "index.html"</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/lib/mylib.js"></script>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., May 12, 2004