    Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or HTML)
    if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    Thank you
    fniles, Apr 26, 2010

  2. fniles

    Patrice Guest

    At some point you need a SMTP server. It could be an external server (for
    example Gmail). Depending on what you are looking for you could also post to
    a web server and this server could then get those date and send a mail...

    Some more details about the overall situation could help.

    --
    Patrice

    : #...

    Patrice, Apr 26, 2010

  3. "fniles" <> wrote in message news:%...
    : Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or HTML)
    : if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    : Thank you

    Is there a way to play a CD without a CD player?

    There ya go.
    C. Kevin Provance, Apr 27, 2010
  4. fniles

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    fniles wrote:
    > Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or HTML)
    > if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    > Thank you

    If it is your local computer, then installing IIS will provide a local
    SMTP server. If you hosting on a shared server, the hosting provider
    would have already configured an SMTP server. In most cases, you
    wouldn't have to specify an SMTP server address. You just need to simply
    set the from and to addresses and call send.

    --
    Bwig Zomberi
    Bwig Zomberi, Apr 27, 2010
  5. fniles

    David Kaye Guest

    "fniles" <> wrote:
    >Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or HTML)
    >if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    >Thank you

    Do I smell somebody trying to write malware here? Sure seems like it to me.
    David Kaye, Apr 27, 2010
  6. Bwig,

    Not on all OS versions

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Apr 27, 2010
  7. fniles

    Mayayana Guest

    | Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or
    HTML)
    | if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    | Thank you

    First you need to understand what VB is. You posted
    to both the VB group and the VB.Net group.
    Is what you really want VB.Net?

    Are you sure you know what an SMTP server is?
    It's not the email sender. Sending email involves
    contacting an SMTP server computer, or setting up
    SMTP on your own server. Outlook is not the server,
    it's just the sender. The sender carries out a
    text-based "conversation" with the server. It's relatively
    easy to do but you need to know the details of the
    conversation.

    Viruses, of course, often incorporate their own
    SMTP functionality, but that's probably not a feasible
    method anymore. Many ISPs will block unrecognized
    SMTP sources.

    I have VB code for sending email, with no dependencies,
    which automatically deals with a PLAIN or LOGIN password
    scenario. (For most ISPs that's sufficient. But in some
    situations you might run into other complications. For
    instance, GMail webmail requires a secure connection. And
    in rare cases, like maybe a government server, you might
    need password encryption.)
    There are also free controls available. (Ex.: vbSendMail)

    So if it's VB you want and you don't need specialized
    functionality, then it's free and easy to cut the dependency
    on Outlook, MAPI, or any other email program.

    If you need VB.Net code...I have no idea. One would
    hope that it's somewhere in that 300+MB of runtime
    baggage, without needing to install Outlook.

    If you need to do this from a webpage that's an entirely
    different situation. And it's different again for ASP (Windows)
    vs Unix/Linux (where you can get free PHP scripts, or get
    a pre-set-up package from your web host).

    So, yes, you can send email. But you should really
    understand how it works, and also check into the ISP
    you intend to use. And it would help if you explain
    exactly what situation/tools you're dealing with.
    Mayayana, Apr 27, 2010
  8. fniles

    Mayayana Guest

    | >Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or
    HTML)
    | >if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    | >Thank you
    |
    | Do I smell somebody trying to write malware here? Sure seems like it to
    me.

    What if I asked for advice on buying a
    portable power drill? Would you assume
    that I wanted it for burglaries?

    There are lots of reasons to want to send
    email, from a PC or a website, and no reason
    that anyone should be reduced to using a
    method as hokey as Outlook automation or MAPI.
    (Contrary to the .Net philosophy, "the more
    wrappers the better" is not necessarily true. :)
    Mayayana, Apr 27, 2010
  9. fniles

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "fniles" <> wrote in message

    > Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or
    > HTML) if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?

    Here's how I read his post, folks. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong.

    "Is it possible to send email without using a mail client such as Outlook
    and without having an SMTP server installed LOCALLY?"

    The answer: OF COURSE IT IS. Tons of people send email every day in these
    very situations. All that's needed is to connect to a REMOTE SMTP server. I
    don't believe he was asking if it's possible to send email without an SMTP
    sever involved AT SOME POINT.

    The answer is "do a Google search," because this question has been asked and
    answered over and over.
    Jeff Johnson, Apr 27, 2010
  10. fniles

    Tom Shelton Guest

    On 2010-04-27, Mayayana <> wrote:

    >| Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or
    > HTML)
    >| if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?
    >| Thank you

    <SNIP>

    > If you need VB.Net code...I have no idea. One would
    > hope that it's somewhere in that 300+MB of runtime
    > baggage, without needing to install Outlook.

    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

    Imports System
    Imports System.Net
    Imports System.Net.Mail

    Module Module1

    Sub Main()
    Using msg As New MailMessage

    With msg
    .From = New MailAddress("")
    .To.Add(New MailAddress(""))
    .Subject = "some subject"
    .Body = "Hey there!"
    End With

    Dim smtp As New SmtpClient("my.mail.server.net")
    ' assuming your server requires authentication...
    smtp.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("myusername", "mypassword")
    smtp.Send(msg)

    End Using
    End Sub

    End Module

    --
    Tom Shelton
    Tom Shelton, Apr 27, 2010
  11. I once wrote a VB6 catalogue program that had the ability to place orders
    that had to be send to a e-mail adress of a reseller
    after strugling with lots of methods ( registry etc etc ) to get the local
    SMTP server and at one point running into a big problem where the users had
    a Lotus Domino system i found out that it was much easier to send a form
    posting over HTTP to a server that i controled and generate the e-mail from
    there
    to be send to the order department of the company where i wrote the program
    for .

    I then only needed the local email adress so the order department could
    optionally reply to the placed order

    Hope this helps

    Michel

    Michel Posseth [MCP], Apr 27, 2010
  12. fniles

    Tom Shelton Guest

    On 2010-04-27, Michel Posseth [MCP] <> wrote:

    > I once wrote a VB6 catalogue program that had the ability to place orders
    > that had to be send to a e-mail adress of a reseller
    > after strugling with lots of methods ( registry etc etc ) to get the local
    > SMTP server and at one point running into a big problem where the users had
    > a Lotus Domino system i found out that it was much easier to send a form
    > posting over HTTP to a server that i controled and generate the e-mail from
    > there
    > to be send to the order department of the company where i wrote the program
    > for .
    >
    > I then only needed the local email adress so the order department could
    > optionally reply to the placed order
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Michel

    I could see that in the old days - but, really how many companies don't have
    email now a days? Even a small company is going to have an email account -
    all you need to know is the server address and the login info to send an
    email. smtp is a very simple protocol.

    --
    Tom Shelton
    Tom Shelton, Apr 27, 2010
  13. Well the program i wrote was installed from a cd-rom ( DVD in a later
    stage ) and had to function "out of the box"
    and i bet not a lot of people ( end consumers ) know there e-mail settings
    so i guess the same aplies as of today

    Also you forget about the Lotus Domino situation or if there is a Outlook
    server installed on a company network
    ( for a fact i never got Lotus to work )

    So in these sitautions my solution was / is just fool proof and verry
    simple to implement

    >smtp is a very simple protocol.

    For VB6 i used the VBSendmail.dll and in .Net you can just use the builtin
    framework classes however they are perfect in a "simple" situation
    even on a MS Exchange network it will not work if SMTP is closed on the mail
    server ( this is default on Exchange ) , for a fact in the company i
    currently work for we have a Linux mail server especially for our .Net apps
    as the admins want to keep the "recomended" settings on the Exchange server
    ..

    regards

    Michel

    Michel Posseth [MCP], Apr 27, 2010
  14. fniles

    Tom Shelton Guest

    On 2010-04-27, Michel Posseth [MCP] <> wrote:

    > Well the program i wrote was installed from a cd-rom ( DVD in a later
    > stage ) and had to function "out of the box"
    > and i bet not a lot of people ( end consumers ) know there e-mail settings
    > so i guess the same aplies as of today

    And yet, they manage to get their outlook working... I'm willing to bet that
    the guy that installs the software also knows the corporate email settings.
    But, you know your users. Your way probably was best for your situation.

    > Also you forget about the Lotus Domino situation or if there is a Outlook
    > server installed on a company network
    > ( for a fact i never got Lotus to work )
    >
    > So in these sitautions my solution was / is just fool proof and verry
    > simple to implement
    >
    >>smtp is a very simple protocol.

    > For VB6 i used the VBSendmail.dll and in .Net you can just use the builtin
    > framework classes however they are perfect in a "simple" situation
    > even on a MS Exchange network it will not work if SMTP is closed on the mail
    > server ( this is default on Exchange ) , for a fact in the company i
    > currently work for we have a Linux mail server especially for our .Net apps
    > as the admins want to keep the "recomended" settings on the Exchange server
    > .

    Hmmm... That's interesting. Not having ever done anything with Exchange
    admin, I know nothing about setting it up or configuring it. Or what is
    recommended best practice or not. But, I know on every corporate exchange
    network I have been on, I have no problems sending emails using the smtp
    classes in .NET as long as I set the authentication properly...

    --
    Tom Shelton
    Tom Shelton, Apr 27, 2010
  15. >> For VB6 i used the VBSendmail.dll and in .Net you can just use the builtin
    >> framework classes however they are perfect in a "simple" situation
    >> even on a MS Exchange network it will not work if SMTP is closed on the mail
    >> server ( this is default on Exchange ) , for a fact in the company i
    >> currently work for we have a Linux mail server especially for our .Net apps
    >> as the admins want to keep the "recomended" settings on the Exchange server
    >> .
    >>

    > Hmmm... That's interesting. Not having ever done anything with Exchange
    > admin, I know nothing about setting it up or configuring it. Or what is
    > recommended best practice or not. But, I know on every corporate exchange
    > network I have been on, I have no problems sending emails using the smtp
    > classes in .NET as long as I set the authentication properly...

    I gave up trying to understand what happens in the heads of IT admins.
    Just yesterday I sent an update of my app to my customer - appended to an
    email. This time I sent it to his private email address, not his company email
    account.
    Last time I had to send it twice, the exe was stripped from my email and after
    hours trying to get it released from the IT he phoned me to send it to his
    private
    email account. There he _could_ download the exe to his company PC!
    Funny how they have secured their company net, isn't it?

    Helmut.
    Helmut Meukel, Apr 27, 2010
  16. fniles

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    Possibly. But most people develop scripts on an ordinary desktop and
    upload to a shared hosting server. Most hosting providers configure an
    SMTP server on the same web server so that script writers do not have to
    explicitly specify an IP address.

    --
    Bwig Zomberi
    Bwig Zomberi, Apr 28, 2010
  17. Helmut,

    Default behaviour, exe's don't go trhough almost through not any mailserver
    anymore.

    The admins don't do that, they simply install the latest updates.

    They have to do something extra to remove that, and who will do that as that
    can be a reason for a complete company going down, they will be direct
    fired, whatever they complain and right they have.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Apr 28, 2010
  18. fniles

    Dee Earley Guest

    Re: [OT] How to send email with no outlook and SMTP server ?

    On 28/04/2010 10:44, Cor Ligthert[MVP] wrote:
    > Helmut,
    >
    > Default behaviour, exe's don't go trhough almost through not any
    > mailserver anymore.

    Mailservers do not change the mail.
    They MAY defer to filters to do this, but I've not seen any mainstream
    MTAs that block these by default out of the box.

    After all, that is not their job...

    --
    Dee Earley ()
    i-Catcher Development Team

    iCode Systems

    Please reply to the group.)
    Dee Earley, Apr 28, 2010
  19. fniles

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Dee Earley" <> wrote in message

    >> Default behaviour, exe's don't go trhough almost through not any
    >> mailserver anymore.

    > Mailservers do not change the mail.

    Well, you know, other than maybe inserting a Received header....
    Jeff Johnson, Apr 28, 2010
  20. fniles

    H-Man Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:39:40 +0200, Helmut Meukel wrote:

    >>> For VB6 i used the VBSendmail.dll and in .Net you can just use the builtin
    >>> framework classes however they are perfect in a "simple" situation
    >>> even on a MS Exchange network it will not work if SMTP is closed on the mail
    >>> server ( this is default on Exchange ) , for a fact in the company i
    >>> currently work for we have a Linux mail server especially for our .Net apps
    >>> as the admins want to keep the "recomended" settings on the Exchange server
    >>> .
    >>>

    >> Hmmm... That's interesting. Not having ever done anything with Exchange
    >> admin, I know nothing about setting it up or configuring it. Or what is
    >> recommended best practice or not. But, I know on every corporate exchange
    >> network I have been on, I have no problems sending emails using the smtp
    >> classes in .NET as long as I set the authentication properly...
    >>

    > I gave up trying to understand what happens in the heads of IT admins.
    > Just yesterday I sent an update of my app to my customer - appended to an
    > email. This time I sent it to his private email address, not his company email
    > account.
    > Last time I had to send it twice, the exe was stripped from my email and after
    > hours trying to get it released from the IT he phoned me to send it to his
    > private
    > email account. There he _could_ download the exe to his company PC!
    > Funny how they have secured their company net, isn't it?
    >
    > Helmut.

    Some of the ways I've gotten around this;
    1) simply change the extension to something like .ABC. In the body of the
    email the recipient is instructed to rename the file back to .EXE.
    2) send in a packed format ie. .ZIP or .7z or something like that.
    3) password protect the packed file. sometimes this will go through if
    their email AV finds a false positive.

    --
    HK
    H-Man, Apr 28, 2010